Led Zeppelin Over Sheffield

I was at the Jan '70 gig - not long after they'd released Led Zep II. Main memories - Page using the violin bow on his guitar during (I think), "Dazed & Confused" and Bonzo's 10 minute or more thrashing of his drumkit during "Moby Dick". Oh, and Robert Plant wailing "baby, baby, baby" in approx 50% of the songs.

I thought they were incredible - but a few a couple of months later I saw Pink Floyd.

I remember Jimmy Page and the violin bow, didn't Bonham also do a drum solo partly using his hands,no sticks ?

A lot of legendary band played at the City Hall and the Union in the sixties and seventies. Pink Floyd played 2 or 3 times, the Who about the same number, etc. The only band that never (as far as I remember) came through Sheffield were the Stones. I think the nearest they got was Leeds University in 1971.

Not sure about the City Hall, but I certainly saw the Stones at the cinema/theatre thingy - Gaumont? Odeon? Dunno.... - in Fitzallan Square, opposite the old Post Office.

• 4 years later...

Interesting stuff! My]e and my brother got tickets for this show, which involved a legendary queue at Wilson Pecks, which ran out of the shop and all the way round the City Hall. The Star photographed it. It was a great gig in many ways. I do recall a girl throwing her bra at Plant during the show. At the end he came back with the garment and asked if the owner would like to come backstage and claim it.... There was a crowd of girls stripping by the stage door shortly afterwards! For some reason the band offered ticket holders a 'special item' if they mailed in their ticket stub. We did and months later a three fold card display came back, but no ticket stub. I think we taped the show on cassette, but whether this is the source of the bootlegs I'm not sure. There was a guy near the front with a larger tape deck, illuminated by two candles. How he got that past security I don't know. I don't recall Plant being below par particularly and certainly saw no sign of the hidden drummer (which seems unlikely as there wouldn't have been room).

I was at the 73 gig and Plant was suffering with Laryngitis ( i think ) and really struggled...Tickets were £1 each and i got offered £8 for mine whilst standing in the queue ( just think of how many pints i could've bought wi' 8 Quid in t' pocket ...i was tempted but went to the Gig ..really enjoyed it ..Especially when Page played wi' the Violin Bow on 'What is and what should never be' ..:)

Edited by GUZZIOWL

Hi,

I remember the first gig that Led Zep did in Sheffield which was at the Uni in late 1968. The Uni had booked the Yardbirds who subsequently split and until only a few days before the concert were still announcing the "New Yardbirds" who finally appeared as Led Zep. Their first album had not yet been released, so no one really knew what to expect. There were around only 200 people present on the night which was pretty poor for a Uni concert. The band came on and played mainly what was to be on their first album. They literally blew away about half of the small crowd who retired to the bar no doubt rather shocked by the assault on their ears which was very different from what they were probably expecting. The rest of us remainded rooted to the spot for what was a very memorable concert and a moment when we could see a major new musical style being created. Happy days. The following week the Who appeared at the Uni & did Tommy as the centrepice of their set. Wonder what happened to them?!

• 10 years later...

Hi

I know this thread is over 10 years old now but thought it would be nice to bump to hear from any more attendees. This gig (January 2nd 1973 at Sheffield City Hall) is known to be one of Robert Plant's worst but it's one of my personal favourites because the remainder of the band is on fire. 

Would be really awesome to hear from anyone who witnessed this show (or if anyone knows an attendee that would be cool too). There's alot of mystery behind it all, whether or not they played What Is And What Should Never Be as an encore or not, and too, there are no photos of the gig unfortunately (hopefully this can change someday) & only a poor-sounding audience tape circulates. 

Thank you & I hope to hear from anyone 🙂