Aging rocker out of the loop

markwit

It's my 40th soon and to celebrate, I have some mates coming up from Brum to see the AC/DC tribute band on Dec 1st at the Boardwalk.

I was hoping to make a whole day/evening/night of it, and having not really done a proper night out in Sheffield since the days of Rebels, Yorkshire Mans Arms and Monday Night Roxy, I was hoping for some advice from you kind folk out there :)

So basically, I need some pre Boardwalk pubs and a post Boardwalk club catering for old men who should know better and like their classic rock. Dec 1st is a Saturday BTW.

Thanks

It's my 40th soon and to celebrate, I have some mates coming up from Brum to see the AC/DC tribute band on Dec 1st at the Boardwalk.

I was hoping to make a whole day/evening/night of it, and having not really done a proper night out in Sheffield since the days of Rebels, Yorkshire Mans Arms and Monday Night Roxy, I was hoping for some advice from you kind folk out there :)

So basically, I need some pre Boardwalk pubs and a post Boardwalk club catering for old men who should know better and like their classic rock. Dec 1st is a Saturday BTW.

Thanks

Basically Dove and Rainbow before and after they are probably the only rock pub that will be open after The Boardwalk. Other than that you would have to go to The Corporation night club.

Other rock pubs that may be open in the afternoon are The Sportsman and I think The Nelson is open on Saturday afternoons but not sure on that one.

I will probably be at the Livewire gig as they are excellent but it does get very packed.

If you need anymore info I should be happy to help!

Basically Dove and Rainbow before and after they are probably the only rock pub that will be open after The Boardwalk. Other than that you would have to go to The Corporation night club.

Other rock pubs that may be open in the afternoon are The Sportsman and I think The Nelson is open on Saturday afternoons but not sure on that one.

I will probably be at the Livewire gig as they are excellent but it does get very packed.If you need anymore info I should be happy to help!

yes we are always very busy pre Boardwalk gigs of this calibre. We are open till gone Midnight so we are your best bet, and now we have a 3am licence, our policy is if we are packed and the bar is doing good trade after Midnight we stay open...and we play more classic rock at the weekend than you can possible imagine, wall to wall old skool rock, and mega request friendly......

We open at 6pm Saturdays and quickly fill with pre-Boardwalk crowds, so get down early......you can bet your Newcastle brown I will be playing all the very best AD/DC material throughout the night as well.....

Thanks for the advice lads. Real ale and classic rock sounds like the way to go for me, so The Dove and Rainbow it is then :)

Out of interest, what music could I expect on a Saturday at the Corporation?

Ta

Thanks for the advice lads. Real ale and classic rock sounds like the way to go for me, so The Dove and Rainbow it is then :)

Out of interest, what music could I expect on a Saturday at the Corporation?

Ta

All depends what room you go in, mate. The big downstairs room plays what you would kind of expect in the Dove, so your classic type rock with a few new ones thrown in. That's where I normally go and can't complain. The other room plays goth and upstairs seems to play the mega heavy stuff.

Hope that helps. You can't go wrong on a Saturday, you'll find something you like. Best night IMO.

Markwit,

The Dove n Rainbow is a perfect stop before a rock gig at the boardwalk, I have done it myself many times. The Dove n Rainbow is rather like the Wap used to be in the old days at times, and you see quite afew old faces there too.

The main problem I have with the boardwalk is, the last couple of times I have been, they were chronically understaffed and it can take 20 mins to get served a drink when it is busy. Also it can be very hot in there and the last time I paid and left my coat, there was nobody looking after the coats on the way out, which made me extremely angry.

So my advice would be go in a t-shirt only, and do all your drinking beforehand in the Dove and Rainbow. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Bit belated I know, but thanks to everyones response. Dove n Rainbow it is then - before and after :)

There will be about seven other joining me for my celebrations, and wondered if it would be necessary to buy tickets for Livewire, or would it be possible to pay on the door. In other words, will it be a sell out?

Ta muchly

Bit belated I know, but thanks to everyones response. Dove n Rainbow it is then - before and after :)

There will be about seven other joining me for my celebrations, and wondered if it would be necessary to buy tickets for Livewire, or would it be possible to pay on the door. In other words, will it be a sell out?

Ta muchly

I would advise to get tickets for Livewire as they are extremely popular and some of my friends have been turned away at the door before when they have played.

Archived