Castle at Pitsmoor

Bikertec

Originally posted by Strix

That's happened before with picturesheffield. The poster has posted a duff link coz it's the searc result page.

Try this: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/hpac.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.id=1604

Wow what a fantastic building I supose it no longer excists now.

Originally posted by Strix

That's happened before with picturesheffield. The poster has posted a duff link coz it's the searc result page.

Try this: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/hpac.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.id=1604

Thanks for the info, Strix. A further search of the Burngreave Messenger website brings up this:

The Old Tower House

Originally posted by Bikertec

Couldn't get in needs password but thank you. I Think it was an old guy I was talking to in Pitsmoor we got talking about the Sheffield Castle which I believe theres a bit off the wall still remaining under the Market and he told me about a castle that used to stand in pitsmoor were the old school is now.

We used to talk about that castle when we were kids and believe it was close to Pye Bank School roughly on Andover Drive.

It did exist but the old geezers from Fowler Street who frequent this forum may know more.

The link on my previous post has the following info:

'This odd little house, built by the Mounteneys of Shirecliffe in 1629, stood roughly between Gray Street and Fox Street. When new it was surrounded by green fields with a clear view of Sheffield Castle and the market town in the valley below.

The house fell into disrepair by 1930 and was demolished a few years later.'

Originally posted by Abdul

The link on my previous post has the following info:

'This odd little house, built by the Mounteneys of Shirecliffe in 1629, stood roughly between Gray Street and Fox Street. When new it was surrounded by green fields with a clear view of Sheffield Castle and the market town in the valley below.

The house fell into disrepair by 1930 and was demolished a few years later.'

As I said Andover Drive.

• 4 months later...

From what I've picked up on other postings, Pitsmoor seems to have altered in many ways more than I can imagine. But when I was a kid living in that area, there was a story about a castle on what was known as the 'Old Gardens'. There was a pub, the Fox and Duck, I think it was called, on Pitsmoor Road. If you walked toward town, down Pitsmoor Road, called the Bank, from the Fox and Duck, there was a high stone wall on your left, up above the wall was the 'Old Gardens'. At the end of the wall was a beat up old house, which, at this point, would be above you. It faced onto the 'Old Gardens'. This was supposed to have been built on the remains of a castle. There was a tunnel underneath. Stories of the incarceration of Mary Queen of Scots were probably not true.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I'm new to the workings of the Forum, so please bare with me.

Re: castle at Pitsmoor.

I thinkyour other contributors got it right.

I grew up in a street off the Wicker but went to Pye Bank School (1942-1948) at the top of Andovers St.. Opposite the school, was part of a row of terraced houses (the rest having been destroyed by a bomb in the Blitz) and behind this was a piece of waste land which people called "The Old Gardens".

This piece of open ground sloped away from the school, generally in the direction of the city but it also sloped to Grey Street on one side and steeply to Pitsmoor road on the other. On the Pitsmoor slope was a cluster of buildings that could have been what people refered to as a castle.

It was pretty run-down, even in the 1940s, but one of the buildings was, I think, three storeys high and octagonal.. Something like the Round House (so-called) at Ringinglow. In a child's imagination, it could have been the Keep of a castle. I aslo remember the people used to say that this property had once been a school but nodody new when.

I once asked my granmother ( she had lived in the district since the late 1890's) and some of her comtempories, about the building but nobody could add anything new to the puzzle.

Archived