Castle at Pitsmoor

Bikertec

I love this forum - my mum who grew up on Grey Street was only asking today if there was a way to find out about this very building using the tinterweb and now I can even show her a picture of the place!

She was also asking if anyone from the area knew of a pub with stables at the back, possibly near Chatham Street, which had an old hall attached to the stable yard. She went to dances there just after the war and wondered if it was still there.

The nearest pub to the aformentioned old castle/house was across the road, known to all and sundry as 'the bacon box', very small place it was. I cant remember what its real name was. The only pub I remember near Chatham Street was the 'Blue Ball ', but I think it was actually on Pitsmoor Road, right at the bottom, a Mansfields house.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I have a question for registered user with id falls. Do you remeber FOX HILL the steep hill linking fox street with rock street towards the city centre end i n PITSMOOR. Would be pleasure if you could pm me with info or post it on the forum. Am very curious about this road, as to who lived there in the past and where there houses on this hill previously?. Hope you can shed some light, be for now.

regards,

ash

Hi,

I have a question for registered user with id falls. Do you remeber FOX HILL the steep hill linking fox street with rock street towards the city centre end i n PITSMOOR. Would be pleasure if you could pm me with info or post it on the forum. Am very curious about this road, as to who lived there in the past and where there houses on this hill previously?. Hope you can shed some light, be for now.

regards,

ash

there's a couple of threads about the road called fox hill at pitsmoor.(not to be confused with the district)

have a fuddle about with the search button, on the screen to your left, and you can nail them down.

• 7 years later...

Hiya I'm a new user of Pitsmoor Forum and I am also a new user of the

Internet . I was born in 1938 at 4 court 1 house Tower Hill/Pitsmoor Rd

Due to Hitler bombing the steelworks and industrial sites during the

blitz of December 1940 my mam and dad left Pitsmoor when l was

about 2 and a half /3 years old to go and live on the Parson Cross

estate . One of Hitlers bombs had just missed our house , but fell on the Marshall Tavern unfortunately and flattened it to the ground .

As a young boy in the mid to late 1940's I used to visit my grandma and grandad who lived at 114 Pitsmoor Rd side of Tower Hill every

sunday .Whilst there I played In the Tower Hill complex , and was

friendly with Mrs and Mr Duff who lived in Tower Hill . The Duffs lived

in an house that looked like a castle . The local people called it

Duff's castle and some said it was built on the site of Pitsmoor Castle .

---------- Post added 24-04-2014 at 13:22 ----------

Someone was asking about the pub 'the bacon box ' at the junction of Pitsmoor Rd / Marshall Street . IT was called the Marshall Tavern .It was directly across

the road from my grandparents house 114 Pitsmoor Rd .

I lived in Pitsmoor for around 25 years in the flats on Andover Street. I went there about 3 weeks ago for the first time in as many years. I couldn't believe how it had changed. Pye Bank school looked very sad and over grown with boarded up windows. the block of maisonettes at the side of the rec are still there and the upside down houses behind the flats but that's about it. The rec has been divided up in to smaller bits.There's still a wicket painted on the park keepers hut mind :) The shops(Cairos,Chippy and co op are shuttered up). To cap it all I got lost I went down school board hill down what I think was Fox street which became a one way street. It was really weird and sad at the same time that I could get lost in a place that I spent 20 odd years of my life. Lots of open spaces where maisonettes and the community centre used to be. As I say really strange and sad

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya everyone , let me introduce myself, I'm castleboy .I've been

called castleboy by my family and locals since the end of WW2.

It all came about from me playing as a little boy around Duff's Castle.

Duff's Castle was in the Tower Hill complex -Pyebank / Pitsmoor Rd.

Does anyone have any memories of Tower Hill on Pitsmoor Rd /

Marshall St junction /Reginald St /down to Rock St and Chatham St?

Did anyone live in this area or did you know of anyone that had lived

in the area ?

I lived at pitsmoor and never hard or saw any thing of any castle's at pitsmoor the nearest castle is the remains of Sheffield castle under castle market were they used to do short trips , to see what remains that are left can be, the second are the little that, left of the old roman castle at the to of wincobank hill, that overlooks Sheffield, and temlebough you could include manor castle in that list oh iv'e just remembered conisbourgh castle think that's the lot if someone know more please post a reply

Archived