Good Dog Pubs (with food)

Strix

The Sportsman at Redmires (just past the old Lodge Moor Hospital).

In fact we seem to get volunteers to look after our giddy pup when we're eating!

Also, probably THE best home made pub food in Sheffield, and outragously cheap for the quality.

We go to the Grouse near Froggatt Edge pretty often. Very good nosh at reasonable prices, and they welcome the dog as long as he's on a lead. In fact, I think they recognize us by him.

If it's just beer you fancy the Sheaf View on Heeley green is not only fantastic (although you have to fight the beardy beer bores to get served), but happy to let the canines in. Is really good in summer as has a nice outdoorsy bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Fagans on Broad Lane does superb saturday and sunday lunches - amazing roast beef dinners and all day breakfasts, homecooked lamb and veggie curries, lots of fish and vegetarian choices, real homemade chips - not freezer chips.

Dogs welcome in pub. Very friendly and laid back ambience.

For anyone who doesn't know it Fagans is an unspoilt old pub just at the edge of the city centre. The landlord is exceptionally proud of his cooking - and his beer

You'll get one of the best pints of Guinness in Sheffield and beautifully kept Moonshine. Even the Tetleys is nice.

The Hare & hounds at Dore used to be a good dog pub, as druids used to goi in at late night & take dogs in there! I used to take my russell in there when i was a regular.

Thats when it was hardcore!, good Rock music, plenty of disfunctional people.

Now,it's run by those cheesedicks at 'Ember inns' the pub is now for the upercrust! & is doing bad, i'm so glad!

Romario

Purely in the name of research my two canine friends Bonnie and Clive and myself, plus one human went to the Bridge Inn at Ford for lunch today to test their dog/food policy. Very friendly welcome, really bad house red wine (screw top Valpolicella which I was assured should be ok as it was 'only opened yesterday'...food typical staple 'pub grub'okay. Only drawback is that dogs are not allowed into main bar of pub so you sit in some kind of draughty corridor thing from where through little windows you can see into the main bar where it looks all cosy and warm and well - better than the corridor. Felt like a little waif from a Dickens novel with my nose pressed up against the window looking at all the rich people having a better time inside.... dogs were ok though.