Good Dog Pubs (with food)

Strix

• 3 weeks later...

We went to the Sportsman In on Redmires Lane with Gadget on Sunday, eagerly anticipating a carvery lunch but they'd already sold out! :(

By then it was 3:30pm on a rainy sunday & we were regretting our 'nice idea' to go out for lunch with Gadget, as we were worried nowhere else around there would let us in with the dog and serve food...

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise though cos further along that road was "The three merry men" who let us in with Gadget, and the food was absolutely fantastic!

We had an antipasto sharing platter between 4 of us... parma ham, salami, sundried tomatoes, feta, olives, rustic bread... mmm!

Then we all plumped for traditional main courses; chicken & ham pie, sausages & mash (with would put 'The Mash House' in town to shame!), gammon, egg & chipps. All dishes were delicious, generous, and home made. Didn't look at puddings as we were stuffed by then!

I was extremely impressed and very pleased we found that place. :thumbsup:

PS even though they let Gadget in, I wouldn't actually call it a 'doggy pub' though - the manager said he could come in if he was well behaved as they weren't that busy...

No license is neede to allow dogs onto the premises although most pubs which have a seperate restaurant area would not let the dogs into that part of the pub. Pubs which serve meals throughout tend to be fine with well-behaved dogs. Thats the rule we have here, although of course, it does vary from pub to pub.

Only in the interests of H&S in a food area e.g restaurant, bar area (behind the bar) and kitchen.

Pubs which serve food throughout the premises tend to have the food they supply legally termed as 'bar snacks' rather than a 'sit down table meal' i.e restaurant meal, which would require dogs to be exempt form the restaurant area for health and safety reasons (and general good practice).

Whatever you do don't go to the castle at Bolsterstone. You will be told it is ok by the barman and served a pint then directed to the "tap room" which actually looks more like a junk room/kids play room then another man will come and tell you to drink up as you are not allowed to bring dogs in unless it is Wednesday?!:loopy:

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say I won't be going back with or without Bruno.

• 3 weeks later...