Old Stannington

Reference The 'spiders Web' This Was A Kind Of Roundabout In The Park @ Top Of Villiage,we Called It So Because Unlike Most Of The Traditional Park Roundabouts This One Had A Tall Cental Pole And Then There Was A Mesh Of Metal Framework That Ran Off This To Which Was Affixed A Wooden Seating Around Its Circumfrence, If You Can Understand That ??? But It Had The The Appearance Of A Spiders Web, Well At Least All Us Kids At The Time Thought So !!!!

Very brief you nostalgia buffs, any old Stannington peeps remember the Spiders Web ?? Plz somebody say yeah

I remember the spiders web - although I don't recall it being called that at the time! I remember the whole think being rocked from side to side by the 'big boys' and being flung off causing injuries from which I still have the scars !

As for the Reverend Francis Augustine Stebbing, he was vicar at Christ Church Stannington from 1916 to 1963 and was, as has already been said, well known in the local pubs.

Hi,

Does anybody remember the Vicar of Stannington in the 1950's and early 60's? He was an extremely colourful character called, I think, Stebbins?

Regards

Yes my father use to speak about him and he died earlier this year 83

I remember the Rev Stebbings very well I used to knock about with his son when we were lads, Peter?,full of mischief in those days. My Dad and Mum used to go to the old Hare and Hounds at the bottom of the Hill during the war when Joe Gray kept it, the beer was "straight from the wood" in those days and after evensong on a Sunday those of the congregation who went across to the H & Hs would find the Vicar already there quaffing his first pint.We once went to a wedding at Stannington Church, and the Rev Stebbings conducted the whole ceremony from memory.A real character in every way

I remember the Rev Stebbings very well I used to knock about with his son when we were lads, Peter?,full of mischief in those days. My Dad and Mum used to go to the old Hare and Hounds at the bottom of the Hill during the war when Joe Gray kept it, the beer was "straight from the wood" in those days and after evensong on a Sunday those of the congregation who went across to the H & Hs would find the Vicar already there quaffing his first pint.We once went to a wedding at Stannington Church, and the Rev Stebbings conducted the whole ceremony from memory.A real character in every way
Actually Sid Gray kept the Hare and Hounds,Joe his son (both deceased) never had the licence.Part of their family now run the Top House,never would have happened in days gone by!.............Francis Stebbings often went home pi***d from the Hare,but he was well thought of by the villagers! and has become quite legendry!

Thanks for that reminder about the Hare and Hounds of course it was Sid Gray,the old memory cords sometimes get out of sync I remember the Top House too,my parents switched their allegiance there, was the licensee a woman, Wood(?) and have a son Derek Farrely(?) nickname "Codge"

Thanks for that reminder about the Hare and Hounds of course it was Sid Gray,the old memory cords sometimes get out of sync I remember the Top House too,my parents switched their allegiance there, was the licensee a woman, Wood(?) and have a son Derek Farrely(?) nickname "Codge"
Yep! Janet and Harry Wood ."Codge" now lives near Doncaster!Did you know any more of the Farrelly's from Janets first marriage when they ran the Rivelin Hotel/pub?

I remember Codge had an older sister who always acted a bit prissy whenever he invited me into their kitchen,which in those days was through a door on the side of the pub,, and and another mate of mine was Edmund Wright who lived in the stone cottages on the opposite side to the Top House and just above it.

I would always watch the cricket team Stannington United?, whenever possible, and I think they used to change in the Hare and Hounds, the memory banks are going into overdrive now!as I remember the picture shows in that school room then at the bottom side of the cricket field not too far from the old bus terminus.

There used to be mischief night November 1st, I think, which in those days was unique to Stannington.

Sorry if my memories are flawed but it is over 60 years ago

My widowed sister took a trip down memory lane a few months ago, and I would like to do the same soon.