Old Stannington

I remember Codge had an older sister who always acted a bit prissy whenever he invited me into their kitchen,which in those days was through a door on the side of the pub,, and and another mate of mine was Edmund Wright who lived in the stone cottages on the opposite side to the Top House and just above it.

I would always watch the cricket team Stannington United?, whenever possible, and I think they used to change in the Hare and Hounds, the memory banks are going into overdrive now!as I remember the picture shows in that school room then at the bottom side of the cricket field not too far from the old bus terminus.

There used to be mischief night November 1st, I think, which in those days was unique to Stannington.

Sorry if my memories are flawed but it is over 60 years ago

My widowed sister took a trip down memory lane a few months ago, and I would like to do the same soon.

The sister sounds like my Aunt Peggy! I also remember Eddie Wright son of Councillor Wright when they lived on Uppergate.Stannington United used the green pavillion to change(now gone) ,I don't remember Film shows in the Church School room, which I think you refer to,but I do remember film shows in the Methodist schoolroom at Knowle top! in those days run by Mr Dransfield a teacher at Stannington school....................by the way ,do you remember the "Stannington Hayseeds" skiffle group that played at the Top House? Codge was bass player(tea chest)along with Bob Lomas,Benny Wragg and Nelson Hall.

Do they stil have caking night (think that was how it was spelt)? It was the day after mischief night, I think.
Unfortunately now gone! there used to be some great nights in the Top House at the Caking competitions,and I myself went round the village Caking for many years(the proceeds usually spent at Maud Mettams on the Uppergate............on spice!)

Unfortunately now gone! there used to be some great nights in the Top House at the Caking competitions,and I myself went round the village Caking for many years(the proceeds usually spent at Maud Mettams on the Uppergate............on spice!)

I spent my caking money at mrs Rushbys on Sheldon lane, remember her cheese rolls? They were out of this world:) Mr Rushby used to scare me, think he had had a stoke and was quite scarey for little kids, but we had to go in for the rolls, no choice;)

I spent my caking money at mrs Rushbys on Sheldon lane, remember her cheese rolls? They were out of this world:) Mr Rushby used to scare me, think he had had a stoke and was quite scarey for little kids, but we had to go in for the rolls, no choice;)

It was a cracking little shop wasn't it? The smell of newly-baked bread as you walked passed on the way to school from our house on Moorland Place......aaah!

Leslie Rushby died quite some years ago, but his wife lived for some considerable time afterwards I believe.

Nothing left of the building now, other than very small sections of perimeter walls, which form part of the front car park of Minnies.

Do you remember the 'Legion Hut' more or less across the road from Rushby's? Nowt of that remains either, other than a flagpole in the middle of overgrown waste ground!

Also, there was a row of houses below there (just above Charlesworth's Saw Mill). They were knocked down years ago. For the past three years (at least), a bloke has been building a house on the land they used to occupy.

Think Mrs Rushby only died a few years ago Darkoak, she moved to a house on Nethergate. No I can't remember the Legion Hut, that one is beyond me? but, I do remember the houses on Sheldon Lane, so we must be in the same age group. Trying to think of people up Moorland Place, there was the school caretaker, who lived on the corner, to Highfield Rise, then a lady who I called Auntie Sheila, her back garden went on to my friends garden on Uppergate Road...Will have another think and see if I can remember any more people!

Think Mrs Rushby only died a few years ago Darkoak, she moved to a house on Nethergate. No I can't remember the Legion Hut, that one is beyond me? but, I do remember the houses on Sheldon Lane, so we must be in the same age group. Trying to think of people up Moorland Place, there was the school caretaker, who lived on the corner, to Highfield Rise, then a lady who I called Auntie Sheila, her back garden went on to my friends garden on Uppergate Road...Will have another think and see if I can remember any more people!

Thanks almost exclusively to the amazing memory of my 'slightly' older Sister(!) - other names from Moorland Place:- No.2 Maitland; No.3 France; No.4 Smith (had a son called Kevin who I knocked about with); No.5 Wright (had a son called Stuart who ust be in his 50's now); No.6 'Us'; No.8 Mr and Mrs Alexander; No.9? Lierich (had a son of similar age called Karl). No.10 - A family who emigrated to South Africa, who had a daughter called Susan. Also somewhere at the top of the road were the Turner's (daughter in same year as me called Sharon) and another Smith family (who had children called Helen and Andrew - Dad owned a motorbike).

Ps:- Sis reminds me that Stannington Brass Band used to practice in the Legion Hut.

Couldn't confirm regarding Karl going to Australia or not, teddie.

Don't see many folks from our era about the village nowadays. Either they have left the area (probable), have changed their apperance beyond my recognition (possible), or they simply ignore me (definately!!!):D

well, don't have much contact with the "hill" at the mo, my ex neighbour phoned with the news about Sally's husband hanging himself, that was a bit of news that shouldn't have been!! Poor bloke, but suppose that is inside news??

Thanks almost exclusively to the amazing memory of my 'slightly' older Sister(!) - other names from Moorland Place:- No.2 Maitland; No.3 France; No.4 Smith (had a son called Kevin who I knocked about with); No.5 Wright (had a son called Stuart who ust be in his 50's now); No.6 'Us'; No.8 Mr and Mrs Alexander; No.9? Lierich (had a son of similar age called Karl). No.10 - A family who emigrated to South Africa, who had a daughter called Susan. Also somewhere at the top of the road were the Turner's (daughter in same year as me called Sharon) and another Smith family (who had children called Helen and Andrew - Dad owned a motorbike).

Ps:- Sis reminds me that Stannington Brass Band used to practice in the Legion Hut.

Does she remember the Manterfields and the Worralls on Moorland Place,also Cyril Smith who was works manager at Arnold Wraggs or is it before your time!