Old Stannington

Does she remember the Manterfields and the Worralls on Moorland Place,also Cyril Smith who was works manager at Arnold Wraggs or is it before your time!

Mossdog, I shall ask her about the Manterfields and Cyril Smith - probably a bit before my time (born in '63). However, I remember the Worralls - they used to ride a tandem didn't they?

Further to above, I've spoken to my Mum and she remembers the Manterfields (lived at No.10 or 12 and had a couple of children). No recollection of Cyril Smith, however.

We lived at at No.6 from 1955 to 1969.

Mossdog, I shall ask her about the Manterfields and Cyril Smith - probably a bit before my time (born in '63). However, I remember the Worralls - they used to ride a tandem didn't they?

Further to above, I've spoken to my Mum and she remembers the Manterfields (lived at No.10 or 12 and had a couple of children). No recollection of Cyril Smith, however.

We lived at at No.6 from 1955 to 1969.

Yes the Worrals did ride a tandem(always considered a bit odd,but I'm sure they were OK) Roger was the son! I always had a soft spot for Elaine Manterfield,one of the daughters.I used to know lots of people on the "Rise" when it was a great sledgeing track in winter! Straight down from top to bottom,when it was an unmade road,accross Bankfield lane into Sheldon Lane and past Rushbys shop! mind you you could only do that on a sledge with flat irons not" cutters".

That was round about 1955!

caking night was a big thing for kids, we used to dress up for Halloween and go round the neighbours houses and sing...Cake, cake, copper, copper, cake cake, copper copper, if you haven't got a penny a hapenny will do, if you haven't got a happeny then God Bless You. Then the people would either give you a couple of pence or some sweets. It was a huge thing when I was growing up, my Mum used to save all her change to give to the kids who came to the door. We used to plan the night which houses to go to, it was fabulous. As for the origins Gawd knows, but according to folk on here, it is now a non event. such a shame

mossdog, do you remember the big pig that was in a stable kind of building between Maud's shop and the Crown & Glove in the 40's ?
The only pigs I remember were kept in the stable at the bottom of the yard at the Crown@ Glove by Harry Wood (I used to feed them before I went to school)! There was a big boar up at Townhead farm(Edgar and Aida Nicholls place) kept in a stye at the side of the road (now a cottage),that is most likely the one you are refering to!just further up Uppergate than Mauds

Did you know that the cottages in Maud Mettams yard were once an Inn many years ago, and legend has it that Roundheads were billeted there in the civil war,as well as Ughill and other places,and apparently Oliver Cromwells initialls are carved into the old cellar wall! The other famous visitor to Mauds yard was Lonnie Donnegan who used to come to see his old army pal living in the cottages in the yard! when he was performing in town ! Ronnie O'Sullivan the snooker ace often stays at Townhead farm when at the Crucible!

Talking of the Crown and Glove, anyone remember a man called Albert, who worked for Reg Howard when he was landlord, he went by the nickname of "Pump" for some reason?

I believe you are talking about "Pump Wright".............worked at Dysons most of his life,gravedigger at Stannington Church,and was renowned for smoking 100 woodbines every single day!