Old Stannington

The only pigs I remember were kept in the stable at the bottom of the yard at the Crown@ Glove by Harry Wood.

Would that have been at the entrance to the C&G carpark ?

I remember Nichol's farm, it was just about opposite where my aunty & uncle lived, Skelton's, they lived at 147 Uppergate.

I put a couple of photo's etc on the other thread, Stannington People.

As for the Reverend Francis Augustine Stebbing, he was vicar at Christ Church Stannington from 1916 to 1963 and was, as has already been said, well known in the local pubs.

My parents Edward Robinson and Dora Whittles were married by the Rev. F.A. Stebbing in April 1939. He was a very good vicar and a fine man. He never ran a car but would often accept lifts from parishioners, and on one occasion when he was walking home from Hollow Meadows my dad gave him a lift on the pillion of his Triumph Thunderbird 650 cc motorbike. Dad knew how to open the throttle safely on roads he knew like the back of his hand, and I remember him telling me that as the good vicar dismounted outside the church he said in a rather shaky voice "That was most exhilarating, Edward" but later told the verger that he had been "terrified". He lived to a good age and is buried in the churchyard beside his wife in a double-width grave.

The only pigs I remember were kept in the stable at the bottom of the yard at the Crown@ Glove by Harry Wood.

Would that have been at the entrance to the C&G carpark ?

I remember Nichol's farm, it was just about opposite where my aunty & uncle lived, Skelton's, they lived at 147 Uppergate.

I put a couple of photo's etc on the other thread, Stannington People.

Yes thats correct,bit further up actually. In regard to Skeltons I remember Joe Skelton who did live in at 147 one of the old police houses .Amongst other things ,he was a bookies runner for Furniss bookies on Oldfield Rd. He used to collect bets from the men in the Top House on Saturday afternoon and come into the old kitchen and phone them through to Furniss.

One afternoon someone in the taproom said"where's Joe"? they eventually found him in the corner of the kitchen,terrified only inches away from being eaten by "Buller" the bull terrier at the Crown and Glove,who was chained to the sideboard in the kitchen!.................which was strange,because he usually only ate people in uniforms !

[quote=mossdog;

I remember Joe Skelton who did live at 147, he was a bookies runner.

That was him mossdog, he worked for the water board for many years & then worked for Shardlow's on Infirmary Road, he did the bookie thing on the side, I had forgotten about that, my wife & I called to see them just before we came to Oz, we called in the Hare & Hounds & he was sitting there, he made me swear that I wouldn't tell my aunty as she was unaware of his activities in that area, she would have killed him if she had known, ha ha.

Do you remember Don Skelton ? many thought he was gay after he left the navy, because he never married, he wasn't, he just couldn't find a woman that would pamper him like his mother did, he had some beautiful girlfriends but never took them home to meet mum.

The village was a great place to live in the good old days wasn't it, everyone was so friendly and helped each other.

[quote=mossdog;

I remember Joe Skelton who did live at 147, he was a bookies runner.

That was him mossdog, he worked for the water board for many years & then worked for Shardlow's on Infirmary Road, he did the bookie thing on the side, I had forgotten about that, my wife & I called to see them just before we came to Oz, we called in the Hare & Hounds & he was sitting there, he made me swear that I wouldn't tell my aunty as she was unaware of his activities in that area, she would have killed him if she had known, ha ha.

Do you remember Don Skelton ? many thought he was gay after he left the navy, because he never married, he wasn't, he just couldn't find a woman that would pamper him like his mother did, he had some beautiful girlfriends but never took them home to meet mum.

The village was a great place to live in the good old days wasn't it, everyone was so friendly and helped each other.

. Yes Skippy,I do remember Don Skelton but not as well as Joe! He was always smart,redfaced like joe and not a hair out of place as I remember him.Yes Stannington was great in those days ,but everywhere has changed I suppose.I have recently moved back to Stannington after about 35 years! it was a shock for the first couple of years but now it seems like I never left,there are still lots of people I went to school with that I can yarn with over a pint,..........which is nice!

I never knew that they were police houses mossdog, reading your posts over the last few days have brought back a lot of memories.

Joe was a humble man, but a very decorated soldier, he was captured twice & escaped twice, I'm now wondering what happened to all his medals.

Here is Joe in the back yard, you can see Nichol's barn across the road, the other is Don, Joe, and Joes brother Charlie, this must have been taken around 1940, sadly they are no longer with us.

scan0003-1.jpg

scan0004-1.jpg

You put some great pictures on here Skippy. Do you have any of Sheldon Lane?

Sorry teddie, the pics I have put on here are the only ones I have, my sister sent them to me after my cousin passed away.

My aunty & uncle were like parents to me, I lived with them from being a few months old [blitz & divorce] until I started school, then spent every weekend at their house until I reached my teens.

All I have left now are very happy memories of Stannington & it's people.

I never knew that they were police houses mossdog, reading your posts over the last few days have brought back a lot of memories.

Joe was a humble man, but a very decorated soldier, he was captured twice & escaped twice, I'm now wondering what happened to all his medals.

Here is Joe in the back yard, you can see Nichol's barn across the road, the other is Don, Joe, and Joes brother Charlie, this must have been taken around 1940, sadly they are no longer with us.

scan0003-1.jpg

scan0004-1.jpg

Good photos Skippy,brings back memories!.............Actually the barn across the road was Charlie Lees farm,Violet, Charlies daughter who married Jim Sherrat still lives there and it is still farmed.Townhead farm which Nicholls farmed is about 300 yds further up on the same side!but that has not been farmed since Aida Nicholls died!

The barn across the road was Charlie Lees farm.

Thanks for putting me right with that mossdog, I remember names and places, but putting them together in the rightful place is another thing.

My great grandparents name was Beachell, great grandmother was called Revitt before marriage & both lived somewhere in Stannington, they had my grandfather in 1877 & named him Herford, he then married my grandmother on Christmas Eve 1900, she was the daughter of the local stonemason, William Tattersall, they moved to Middle cottage at High Riggs where they started a family, thats where my mother & aunty grew up, I think my grandparents died very young as my mother went to live with my aunty for a while, who by then had married Joe, but the lights of the big smoke [sheffield] attracted her & she moved out.

I have already put these on the other site, but it will keep everything in perspective, Middle Cottage & my aunty outside her shop, Skelton's store which was at Knowle Top.

scan0004.jpg

scan0003.jpg