Old Stannington

The barn across the road was Charlie Lees farm.

Thanks for putting me right with that mossdog, I remember names and places, but putting them together in the rightful place is another thing.

My great grandparents name was Beachell, great grandmother was called Revitt before marriage & both lived somewhere in Stannington, they had my grandfather in 1877 & named him Herford, he then married my grandmother on Christmas Eve 1900, she was the daughter of the local stonemason, William Tattersall, they moved to Middle cottage at High Riggs where they started a family, thats where my mother & aunty grew up, I think my grandparents died very young as my mother went to live with my aunty for a while, who by then had married Joe, but the lights of the big smoke [sheffield] attracted her & she moved out.

I have already put these on the other site, but it will keep everything in perspective, Middle Cottage & my aunty outside her shop, Skelton's store which was at Knowle Top.

scan0004.jpg

scan0003.jpg

Thats a good photo of Skeltons greengrocers Skippy! I visited that little shop many times as a kid when sent shopping, but by then it had become "Elsies" (Hadfield)...............Looking at your other threads,it seems we have some common aquaintances in the 60s era bands.I played bass in many bands in the 60s,Frank White band,Scott William Combo,Vantennas,Steve Denton band,and depp'd for Joe Cocker, Frankensteins Monsters and the Chuck Fowler 4 to name just a few.Do you remember these bands?

Hi,

Does anybody remember the Vicar of Stannington in the 1950's and early 60's? He was an extremely colourful character called, I think, Stebbins?

Regards

I remember the old Vicar he married us in 1958. Kept asking me if I was absolutely sure that I wanted to get married.

The story was not to leave your beer unattended in the Sportsman if he was in there.

[quote=mossdog;

It seems we have some common aquaintances in the 60s era bands.I played bass in many bands in the 60s,Frank White band,Scott William Combo,Vantennas,Steve Denton band,and depp'd for Joe Cocker, Frankensteins Monsters and the Chuck Fowler 4 to name just a few.Do you remember these bands ?

Remember them all mossdog, they were great times, I left the village when I was 4 years old and went to live at Crookes with my mother, my best mate & neighbour was Joe C, we get together for a good old yarn whenever he comes down under, do you still play ? I talk to Phil Crookes from time to time, he was a great guitarist, we went to school together & he lived up the road from me, Bob ?the bass player in the Avengers lived just around the corner also.

We moved to the Shirecliffe when I was 12, where I met Kevin Baines who played in the Greycats, he taught me my first chords, I lost touch with Joe until we met up some years later at the Sicey pub, I couldn't believe he was a singer, and to see Phil & Bob playing guitars was rather a surprise.

I never had the guts to get up in front of an audience, so I was quite jealous of blokes like you that did it, although I fullfilled my ambition 4 years after arriving here when my wife and I travelled around NSW for 8 years singing country gospel, then I gave it all away.

Both our sons play guitar as well as 2 of our teenage grandsons, so it's got passed on down the line, after a back injury a few years ago, I got medically retired & became quite bored & depressed, my wife talked me into playing again & she bought me all the equipment, I went and bought a couple of new guitars & got playing with a couple of mates entertaining the pensioners, I've had to put that on hold for a while as I've got my finger in too many pies at the moment & can't always be available.

[quote=mossdog;

It seems we have some common aquaintances in the 60s era bands.I played bass in many bands in the 60s,Frank White band,Scott William Combo,Vantennas,Steve Denton band,and depp'd for Joe Cocker, Frankensteins Monsters and the Chuck Fowler 4 to name just a few.Do you remember these bands ?

Remember them all mossdog, they were great times, I left the village when I was 4 years old and went to live at Crookes with my mother, my best mate & neighbour was Joe C, we get together for a good old yarn whenever he comes down under, do you still play ? I talk to Phil Crookes from time to time, he was a great guitarist, we went to school together & he lived up the road from me, Bob ?the bass player in the Avengers lived just around the corner also.

We moved to the Shirecliffe when I was 12, where I met Kevin Baines who played in the Greycats, he taught me my first chords, I lost touch with Joe until we met up some years later at the Sicey pub, I couldn't believe he was a singer, and to see Phil & Bob playing guitars was rather a surprise.

I never had the guts to get up in front of an audience, so I was quite jealous of blokes like you that did it, although I fullfilled my ambition 4 years after arriving here when my wife and I travelled around NSW for 8 years singing country gospel, then I gave it all away.

Both our sons play guitar as well as 2 of our teenage grandsons, so it's got passed on down the line, after a back injury a few years ago, I got medically retired & became quite bored & depressed, my wife talked me into playing again & she bought me all the equipment, I went and bought a couple of new guitars & got playing with a couple of mates entertaining the pensioners, I've had to put that on hold for a while as I've got my finger in too many pies at the moment & can't always be available.

You may have lived on Tasker Road, where Joe lived then. Phil lived on Stannington View Road,and was best man at my wedding,I think Bob Bamford who lives in Stannington lived there also,Not sure where Bob Everson and Dave Memmott the other members of "Vance Arnold and the Avengers" lived in those days,I also played in Stu Moselys band for a short time,(another Crookes lad still gigging)I remember Kev Baines well,used to come into the"Stonehouse ,Sat lunch where all the bands used to meet for a few jars,before travelling on to gigs in the back of a Bedford or Thames 15cwt van.Yes I have never stopped playing,although for many years it has been Fiddle! I gave up playing bass a long time ago,and still do a few gigs with various people if they need a fiddle player, I also play for the local carols in Stannington at Xmas! Thanks for the Pics, they are causing much discussion in the "Top House"!

[quote=mossdog; Phil lived on Stannington View Road,and was best man at my wedding,I think Bob Bamford who lives in Stannington lived there also.

Bob Bamford lived on Stannington View Rd as a kid then moved to live on I think they call it St thomas Rd which runs at the bottom of Tasker Rd.

A thunderbolt went through their roof on S/V road & would you believe the same thing happened when they moved to St thomas Rd, I'm sure I'm right, ask him, he also went to Crookes Endowed School same time as me but is a year or two older than me, what a small world this is eh ?

[quote=mossdog;Not sure where Bob Everson and Dave Memmott the other members of "Vance Arnold and the Avengers" lived in those days ?

It was Bob Everson [bass Player] although I thought his surname was Eveson ?that lived at the top of St Thomas Road, I can't remember his surname for sure.

Bob Bamford lived at the bottom of that same street in the 50's after moving house.

[quote=mossdog;Not sure where Bob Everson and Dave Memmott the other members of "Vance Arnold and the Avengers" lived in those days ?

It was Bob Everson [bass Player] although I thought his surname was Eveson ?that lived at the top of St Thomas Road, I can't remember his surname for sure.

Bob Bamford lived at the bottom of that same street in the 50's after moving house.

Saw Bob Bamford this weekend in the "Top 'Ouse" and he is puzzled as to whether or not he knows you as I cannot give him a name! Joe Cocker is playing the Arena in Sheffield this week and Bob is going to contact Vic ,Joe's brother to see if they can all meet up at the gig!

Saw Bob Bamford this weekend in the "Top 'Ouse" and he is puzzled as to whether or not he knows you as I cannot give him a name! Joe Cocker is playing the Arena in Sheffield this week and Bob is going to contact Vic ,Joe's brother to see if they can all meet up at the gig!

I sent you a PM 5 days ago mossdog, my name is Trevor Powell, we lived at 55 Tasker, opposite Joe and 4 doors up, 3 doors from Joe Mitchell.

Good luck with Bob trying to contact Vic, I've been trying to get his email address from a Tony Illingworth [bob will remember him] for ages to give to Phil, but he has lost it somewhere in the house.

I will be catching up with Joe around February when he comes here.