Old Stannington

The only pigs I remember were kept in the stable at the bottom of the yard at the Crown@ Glove by Harry Wood (I used to feed them before I went to school)! There was a big boar up at Townhead farm(Edgar and Aida Nicholls place) kept in a stye at the side of the road (now a cottage),that is most likely the one you are refering to!just further up Uppergate than Mauds

Did you know that the cottages in Maud Mettams yard were once an Inn many years ago, and legend has it that Roundheads were billeted there in the civil war,as well as Ughill and other places,and apparently Oliver Cromwells initialls are carved into the old cellar wall! The other famous visitor to Mauds yard was Lonnie Donnegan who used to come to see his old army pal living in the cottages in the yard! when he was performing in town ! Ronnie O'Sullivan the snooker ace often stays at Townhead farm when at the Crucible!

Lonnie Donnegans mate was my Uncle Rowland. My sister has just moved out of the cottage that used to be Maud Mettams shop. LOL Imagine buying parafin over the counter in a bottle you took to the shop nowadays

My uncle lived in a small cottage right on Stannington road down a little ways from the pub (which I thought was the crown and glove but maybe not)

It was on a corner but I can't remember the off street. there was noting accross Stanington road other than farmers fields where I used to play with my cousin.

Can anybody remeber the old car sales pitch/garage opposite Charlesworths near the old police station. I think this was in the 1950s/early 1960s., although I could be wrong on the dates.
Otter @ Priestly.................Bill Otter And Bert Priestly ran it for years.

It was called Hanmoor Garage, they had Coaches, sold petrol and operated a garage.

My uncle lived in a small cottage right on Stannington road down a little ways from the pub (which I thought was the crown and glove but maybe not)

It was on a corner but I can't remember the off street. there was noting accross Stanington road other than farmers fields where I used to play with my cousin.

Was the pub Hare & Hounds ?