Hyram Wild Early days

tyward

"I had been told by others who worked with them at Hiram's that they had set up a import business, so are they finishing foreign cutlery?"

Looking at their brochures, it appears that they're operating a "mixed economy" - some Sheffield made and some cheaper imported stuff.

http://www.hiramwild.com

Bizarrely, that is the original Hiram Wild website, with just the postal address changed??? Obviously some of the wording could do with being changed, since they won't be the largest provider of sheffield flatware from Cupola, will they? Not with Deeley's still in the picture, and I'm not sure if a few of the other old guard might might still be around... It was the biggest when they had Herries Rd and Petre Street though...

• 4 years later...

Hi interesting posts. My mother Edna Roome was a knife buffer there and my auntie Elsie. Great days as a kid going down there. They were all covered in buffing muck. I joined the Royal Air Force and was posted to Germany -feeling homesick. Felt a lot better as I glanced down at the knife I was holding in the mess which was stamped Hiram Wild. Benefit was we had some good cutlery lol

I am sure Hiram Wilde had a house at Kiveton, it was a lovely detached property with a garage to the side and rear of the house where an elderly man worked on some kind of machinery. From the rear of the house you could see a conveyer carrying what I assume was spoil from the pit and tipping it.

Sometime in the late 70's, I was driving along Middlewood Road when I encountered an old lady who was obviously in some distress. I stopped and asked if she was ok and she said that she was not well and could I take her to Hyram Wilds where her husband worked.

I said that I thought we should call an ambulance or her doctor but she flatly refused, "No, please just take me to my husband at Hyram Wilds."

I said that I thought she would be better of maybe going to the hospital. She said, " Not likely, I've just walked out of Middlewood Hospital, my husband had me put there and when I get to Hyram Wilds, I'm gonna kill him."

I dropped her at Hyram Wilds :)