What has happened to the Nottingham House?

goldenfleece

called in for a pint last night and was appalled by what has happened to this once beautiful real ale student pub. The place was virtually empty save for about 20 of what can only be described as not very pleasant tracky bottom gangster types. I felt like I was not in the glorious leafy suburb of Broom hill, but rather it felt more like the Manor!!

It was a relief to escape to the Broomhill tavern where nothing has changed since 1895!!!

Seems the odd one out when it comes to Broomhill's boozers. With the exception of the tavern (which I'm barred from) the Notty is the only pub I don't ever go in.

I've started going back into the Fox and Duck - superb pint of Magnet at just £1.85 - and then going for a superb burger in The York. Three of us ate there on Wednesday and including drinks it only cost £23.

The Place is quite relaxing and things are looking up at the South Sea since the folk from the Hadfield took it over.

But the Nottingham House? It doesn't make you want to step foot inside, I admit.

The Golden Fleece???? Thats a pub in Nottingham!

There's a Golden Fleece on Pavement in York.

It's a wonky affair (most pubs are, aren't they) and the rooms they let for visitors are the stuffiest, most filfthy cess-pits one could hope to find.

Naturally, we didn't care...,

Seems the odd one out when it comes to Broomhill's boozers. With the exception of the tavern (which I'm barred from) the Notty is the only pub I don't ever go in.

I've started going back into the Fox and Duck - superb pint of Magnet at just £1.85 - and then going for a superb burger in The York. Three of us ate there on Wednesday and including drinks it only cost £23.

The Place is quite relaxing and things are looking up at the South Sea since the folk from the Hadfield took it over.

But the Nottingham House? It doesn't make you want to step foot inside, I admit.

I was disappointed with the Notty...it was taken over earlier this Summer but it has just got worse than it was....tatty, dirty, the bar service was terrible considering only 20 people in, most of the once gloriously diverse real ale selection handpulls were vacant, and the fridges contained just a handful of bottles.....I got a pint of lager in a generic unbranded beer glass which always pours flat as a squashed hedgehog

Plus you just get stared at by the 'locals', who seemed to me to be from outside of the area......probably get accused of being outspoken again but I don't care, this pub is NOT making the most of its position in the centre of studentland....

Can't speak for the other nights, but Tuesdays in The Notty are probably the best night out you'll have in Broomhill. They put a night on called 'Sex City' - nowt but Sheffield music, and it's quality. It's been rammed the last few times i've been (granted the stoodents are back), but you'll always catch a musical face or 2. Cheap as chips ale an all.

I've even heard 'The Place' is trying to cash in on its success with a night on Mondays called 'Sexy Steel City'. Oh dear.

Archived