What has happened to the Nottingham House?

goldenfleece

The Nottingham House (the Notty) has been pretty shabby for a while. I think it was in 1999 when it turned into one of these "Firkin" pubs. Then in around 2002 (ish) it turned back into the Nottigham house.

The new management / owners sang the praises of "new refurbishment" - if any thing they made it worse and seemed to make the place grubbier. Now it seems to have been refurbished again but it is just as grotty. Dirty, sticky floors, filtly bar and albeit they do keep some decent beer on you get the impression that their cellar skills are not up to par.

From the outside it looks like a nice pub - it is just a let down inside. As for what other posters say about the bar staff I agree. They seem to resemble "undesirables" that you may in some of the City's grottier pubs and have brought their flock with them as customers who prop up the bar.

A shame really it could be a decent pub if it were just given a proper clean inside.

The Nottingham House (the Notty) has been pretty shabby for a while. I think it was in 1999 when it turned into one of these "Firkin" pubs. Then in around 2002 (ish) it turned back into the Nottigham house.

The new management / owners sang the praises of "new refurbishment" - if any thing they made it worse and seemed to make the place grubbier. Now it seems to have been refurbished again but it is just as grotty. Dirty, sticky floors, filtly bar and albeit they do keep some decent beer on you get the impression that their cellar skills are not up to par.

From the outside it looks like a nice pub - it is just a let down inside. As for what other posters say about the bar staff I agree. They seem to resemble "undesirables" that you may in some of the City's grottier pubs and have brought their flock with them as customers who prop up the bar.

A shame really it could be a decent pub if it were just given a proper clean inside.

Isn't there a good argument that every decent area should have one dodgy pub where all the undesirables hang out, so as they're kept away from the rest of us? When I lived in Crosspool, I seem to recall a period when the Bell Hagg performed a similar function.

called in for a pint last night and was appalled by what has happened to this once beautiful real ale student pub. The place was virtually empty save for about 20 of what can only be described as not very pleasant tracky bottom gangster types. I felt like I was not in the glorious leafy suburb of Broom hill, but rather it felt more like the Manor!!

It was a relief to escape to the Broomhill tavern where nothing has changed since 1895!!!

like all pubs they are priceing out the regular drinkers..pubs will be a thing of the past unless the greedy brewerys and landlords wake up and smell the coffee

like all pubs they are priceing out the regular drinkers..pubs will be a thing of the past unless the greedy brewerys and landlords wake up and smell the coffee

prices were not TOO bad there, standard pub prices for stuff mainly, not excessively over priced and cheaper than some other Broomhill pubs (slightly)

I think any former regulars would hate the place now.....it just does not feel welcoming, which should be the number one goal of ANY pub.....brushed against one of the pillars on the way out and got shirt covered in about a months worth of grime...the floor was sticky with old beer too, not fresh.....the place is in need of an industrial strength clean and not just a sweep and a mop....

I liked it when it was the Fitzooth and Firkin back in the 90's...

Thanks for that, I was trying to remember what it was called when I saw this thread earlier. I knew it was the F..... and Firkin but couldn't remember what. Not surprising really, its a bit obscure.

It was a Firkin pub when I first landed in Sheffield and I remember the excellent Dogbolter they used to serve. If I remember rightly they used to brew in some of the Firkin pubs?

The Firkin chain also had an offy down at Hunters Bar where you could get carry outs of it on draught. :)

prices were not TOO bad there, standard pub prices for stuff mainly, not excessively over priced and cheaper than some other Broomhill pubs (slightly)

I think any former regulars would hate the place now.....it just does not feel welcoming, which should be the number one goal of ANY pub.....brushed against one of the pillars on the way out and got shirt covered in about a months worth of grime...the floor was sticky with old beer too, not fresh.....the place is in need of an industrial strength clean and not just a sweep and a mop....

Agreed we went in the other night and it certainly appeared to have lost a lot of the character it had a few years back.

Archived