Capital One sold account to Robinson Way

i created a card with them years ago, and never used it. and now these robinson people tell me i have to pay 149 pounds.. what can i do?

cheeres

Ask Robinson Way to provide a full statement of account.

They are legally obliged to do this.

Then you can see where the £149 debt has come from and take it from there.

If they refuse then you can write, demanding the information for a £1 fee.

• 2 years later...

hi i had account with capital one account was sold to capquest ok heres the best bit once a bank or credit card company sell your debt to another company you no longer owe the debt the purchaser does ie if i owe you £500 and i dont pay you but some body pays you for my debt i no longer owe you anything fact banks dont tell you this. dont worry about debt collecters they have no power to take you to court .check out others site like getoutofdebtforfree.org or consumer action group. dont worry about the letters they send you just send them back . keep your hard earned cash for you and your family take a look a lawfull rebellion web page and british constituion group and learn your rights you have no credit agreement with the debt collecter so the debt cant be inforced good luck

Most of those posts are correct. A debt is- legally- a 'chose in action'. Its benefit can be assigned/transferred, just like a freehold reversion (= subject to a lease) can be. The assignee (new creditor) has to notify the debtor of the change, preferably with evidence from the assignor- here, Capital One. The assignment changes nothing else; the terms of the loan/debt are otherwise just the same.

Been on the phone to Robinson Way who wanted a card payment of £80, and wouldnt accept an immediate standing order, as im waiting for a new debit card.

So i thought id try the transfers and payment section on my bank website to send the £80

but ive found that the ref number he gave me on the phone doesnt tally with the one that automatically comes up on the site after you put the company name in.

So they'l have to accept standing order or a cheque.

I still dont know why this has been passed on to them as i was paying it and only had a few more months to pay.

But judging from the info ive just found on Robinson Way it seems like a lot of people have been recieving fraudulent claims for money from them to do with ebay accounts and all sorts, Also people who have paid debts off years ago have recieved letters from them asking for the same again. Aparentley all complaints are to go to someone from the Sunday mail, so they must be looking in to it.

If you want advice on this problem google Money Saving Expert forum. There is tonnes of help on there. I use it a lot and its helped me out in the past.

Most of those posts are correct. A debt is- legally- a 'chose in action'. Its benefit can be assigned/transferred, just like a freehold reversion (= subject to a lease) can be. The assignee (new creditor) has to notify the debtor of the change, preferably with evidence from the assignor- here, Capital One. The assignment changes nothing else; the terms of the loan/debt are otherwise just the same.

So is the advice from busyboy correct or not. If it's not legally correct then people need to be aware of the fact before they get themselves into more trouble.

So is the advice from busyboy correct or not. If it's not legally correct then people need to be aware of the fact before they get themselves into more trouble.

To my understanding everything busyboy said is wrong. However, if upon request the new owner of the debt cannot produce a copy of the original signed credit agreement then you have no legal obligation to pay. BUT, with all things of this nature you have to be damned sure you know what you are doing, best place for advice is the Consumer Action Group.

jb

To my understanding everything busyboy said is wrong. However, if upon request the new owner of the debt cannot produce a copy of the original signed credit agreement then you have no legal obligation to pay. BUT, with all things of this nature you have to be damned sure you know what you are doing, best place for advice is the Consumer Action Group.

jb

Exactly why I asked the question because to the best of my knowledge (working within the finance area) most of what busyboy said is wrong and could be massively misleading.

Obviously I'm happy to be corrected if necessary.

Archived