Hitler v Bramall Lane

caronlel

I have been searching the 'net to try and find some history of the area I now live in but have basically drawn a blank. I know Bramall Lane scored a few hits in WW2 because of the UXB which was unearthed in the football ground some years back but is it just a coincidence that houses on my street start at No.12 or did Jerry score more than one? A couple of streets seem to have houses which start part way up with grass verges and trees covering the space left so it's a bit odd..

Any info would be great :)

9th February 1985, Sheffield Utd v Oldham match postponed because of a Second World War bomb found near the ground. Match played 12th Feb, United winning 2-0 with goals from Edwards and Hoolickin (OG).

Seem to recall it being around Alderson Road area?

I have been searching the 'net to try and find some history of the area I now live in but have basically drawn a blank. I know Bramall Lane scored a few hits in WW2 ....

There are photographs in a number of publications of the damage to the John Street stand, suffered in Dec. 1940.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s01012

There are photographs in a number of publications of the damage to the John Street stand, suffered in Dec. 1940.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s01012

The John St. stand was hit. The tight gits decided to patch it up rather than rebuild it :hihi:

. The tight gits QUOTE]

Yes, it did a few £'s worth of damage; and they had to move out for a few months, and played their games at Hilllsborough - so it is possible Wednesday charged them some ground rent as well.

Even worse in 1914, the BL pitch was dug up by the newly formed Sheffield City Batallion, practisiing their square bashing and tranch digging techniques (before they were wiped out on the Somme, something to reflect upon as November 11th approaches).

But having an undulating pitch afterwards, must have helped United, as they won the cup at the end of the season..

:mad:

I have been searching the 'net to try and find some history of the area I now live in but have basically drawn a blank. I know Bramall Lane scored a few hits in WW2 because of the UXB which was unearthed in the football ground some years back but is it just a coincidence that houses on my street start at No.12 or did Jerry score more than one? A couple of streets seem to have houses which start part way up with grass verges and trees covering the space left so it's a bit odd..

I was on Bramal Lane a few hours after the Bombing, Lavers massive wood yard was on fire.united's ground had craters & one of the stands was partly demolished. A number of houses were badly damaged by Blast & fire, most nearer the city end where the Moor was almost completely destroyed. The "Earl of Arundel"our favourite pub for years was almost untouched.

Hmmm, my road is more or less opposite the old Lavers yard so I wonder if it was shrapnel damage which rendered No.s 2-10 unsafe.... No.12 has brick built supports which are obviously a lot newer than the block of houses which I believe date back to at least 1900. The only house on the other side of the road (No.1) is a very recent build by a housing association so maybe that side was completely wiped out or maybe never even exisited?

Archived