Burngreave... Can anyone tell me?

mini-me

• 4 years later...
There is a rather large building on Burngreave road.. it looks derelict now... it,s just opposite the junction as you turn left on towards Rutland road.. what was it? and what was it,s purpose.. looks like it was very grand in it's day.

:help:

I think the place you are talking about is next door to the Catholic Church,a lot of years ago I delivered papers there for Cutts Newsagent Rock St.I never did know who lived there.

I think it was/is Osborne House

Yes it is Osborne House - i worked for sheffield council for many years clearing vacant properties allover sheffield and i helped to clear it of all its contents and take them to the tip ,this was about 2001-it was massive inside with oak panelled walls,loads of single bedrooms ,a mosaic tiled floor to the rear entrance and a beautifull large inglenook fireplace etc ,the social services were going to take it over i believe but it never happened and its been derelict ever since, i think it will be a right mess inside now as there are lots of the roof tiles missing etc.The access to it is very bad.

Yes it is Osborne House - i worked for sheffield council for many years clearing vacant properties allover sheffield and i helped to clear it of all its contents and take them to the tip ,this was about 2001-it was massive inside with oak panelled walls,loads of single bedrooms ,a mosaic tiled floor to the rear entrance and a beautifull large inglenook fireplace etc ,the social services were going to take it over i believe but it never happened and its been derelict ever since, i think it will be a right mess inside now as there are lots of the roof tiles missing etc.The access to it is very bad.

Its a shame really, mum used to work there and it was a lovely building. There are quite a few threads on here about this building, an interesting read from some of the lads that got sent here on remand.

Its a shame really, mum used to work there and it was a lovely building. There are quite a few threads on here about this building, an interesting read from some of the lads that got sent here on remand.

it's so sad that this place has been left derelict for so many years! no, scratch that, it's CRIMINAL that the building has been left to rot!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Burngreave+Road,+Sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.3972,-1.464722&spn=0.009647,0.01929&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.648276,39.506836&oq=burngreave&hnear=Burngreave+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.39712,-1.464659&panoid=qYnS1n57RQp7PISmAIuskA&cbp=12,11.05,,0,1.5

• 2 weeks later...

It was a childrens home. I lived there for about 18 months in 1974/75. It was closed down for a brief time after a falling out between the staff (wether this was the only reason or a coincidence I dont know) but I was moved out to a bedsit when i was about 16yrs old. I feel it was still used as a home after myself and the other occupants where moved out because I think I went back after later spending time at Shirecliff remand home. This all happened nearly 40 years ago so is a little vague and confused. It was chilling to see the old place derelict. Pete :-) As an after thought there is a collection of photos my daughter found by a group called 28dayslater showing the inside of Osborne House, its a real mess (Feb 11) nearly brought a tear to my eye (silly really) I cant include the link, sorry :-) Take care. Pete

It was a childrens home. I lived there for about 18 months in 1974/75. It was closed down for a brief time after a falling out between the staff (wether this was the only reason or a coincidence I dont know) but I was moved out to a bedsit when i was about 16yrs old. I feel it was still used as a home after myself and the other occupants where moved out because I think I went back after later spending time at Shirecliff remand home. This all happened nearly 40 years ago so is a little vague and confused. It was chilling to see the old place derelict. Pete :-) As an after thought there is a collection of photos my daughter found by a group called 28dayslater showing the inside of Osborne House, its a real mess (Feb 11) nearly brought a tear to my eye (silly really) I cant include the link, sorry :-) Take care. Pete

Many Thanks for letting me know what the house was used for,I came passed it today on the bus from town and had a good look at it,and was surprised how big that building was,I delivered there papers for a number of years but only got to the front step,getting moved to a bedsit at 16 must have been a frightening expierience,but as you say it was a long time ago,and I also delivered papers to the Shirecliffe remand home it was on the same round,what a coinsidence.

Archived