HELP!!! Nits or dandruff?

Aren't nits the eggs, rather than the lice themselves?

Anyway, the eggs are little hard white-ish blobs that stick to your hair. I suppose you could mistake them for bits of skin (dandruff) if you didn't look carefully.

There's no way you'd mistake the lice for dandruff though! :D

YES. Because lice are greenish brownish and have six legs. Ew.

But if I have nits I don't want to wait around until they're lice!

Thanks though :)!

get some white paper, comb your hair with a fine tooth comb over the paper. You can soon tell what it is. Nits dont always move but they are very obvious.

I'm going to try it!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for an obvious way to tell! I wasn't really sure whether they could move or not but I'll try!

Nits are eggs that are glued to a hair and are difficult to get off they do not move.

Lice hatch out from the eggs and they hatch very quickly and witin 48 hrs you can have a lot of lice.

The school nurse said if you brush your hair every day you should eventually have no lice because bruushing breaks their legs and with broken legs they do not mate!!

hazel

Nits are eggs that are glued to a hair and are difficult to get off they do not move.

Lice hatch out from the eggs and they hatch very quickly and witin 48 hrs you can have a lot of lice.

The school nurse said if you brush your hair every day you should eventually have no lice because bruushing breaks their legs and with broken legs they do not mate!!

hazel

It's been two days and nothing hatched, plus these get off easily. But thank you for the tip if I ever do get lice! :D

• 4 years later...
Try to squash the flakes between yhur thumb nails if there is a quite loud defined crack yhu've got nits its dandruff it will just squash and no noise will be made.

OMG!!!!! THANK YOU!!!! I was at school getting my head checked, and they said that I have nits, so I went home and my mom put the treatment in, but while she was checking my hair and combing it, all that was in my hair was dandruff, which I have had SINCE I WAS BORN!!!! We have gotten a treatment for my dandruff, but now we know FOR SURE that I do not have nits!!!! :clap::banana:

OMG!!!!! THANK YOU!!!! I was at school getting my head checked, and they said that I have nits, so I went home and my mom put the treatment in, but while she was checking my hair and combing it, all that was in my hair was dandruff, which I have had SINCE I WAS BORN!!!! We have gotten a treatment for my dandruff, but now we know FOR SURE that I do not have nits!!!! :clap::banana:

Congratulations - the city is yours! :)

I don't know how anyone could get confused between the two tbh. If you've got nits you must have got something that laid the nits, i.e. head lice. And though they are tiny you can see them with the naked eye and they have legs and walk around.

Let me suggest something to you for your dandruff in any case. You can get rid of it very easily - but don't bother with so called "medicated" shampoos like "Head & Shoulders" or "Vosene" (do they still make Vosene? I used to like the smell of it).

The best treatment for dandruff (in my humble flaky opinion) is Nizoral. It's a pink shampoo lotion that you can buy only from a pharmacy. It has the active ingredient - ketoconazole - which was, at one time, a prescription only medicine used to treat systemic fungal infections. It's no longer used for that, but it is a very, very effective shampoo for dandruff.

It's expensive - maybe £7 or £8 for a 100ml bottle. But you don't need to use it very often. A couple of times a week for the first couple of weeks and your dandruff will be gone. After that, once a month or once every 6 weeks should suffice.

Time to get out your black dresses again maybe?:)

Archived