Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

andyb

"Traditional" English fish and chips, what a joke! I see so many signs above shops stating that fact.

I have joined a family of fish friers that are now 3rd generation in this industry.

Any shop that claims to be traditional and sells chips cooked in vegetable oil, fish or should I say codlings cooked in factory made batter should be fined for false advertising!

But I have to hold my hands up, we now use frozen at sea Icelandic cod instead of fresh and frozen sausage, but we still use the same recipe for making our batter, and still make yorkshire fishcakes.

I believe anything else is not a chip shop.....it's just another fast food outlet run by people that don't have a clue about "traditional"

So if you want tasteless fish in a inch of batter, or pale chips with no taste, or kebabs, burgers etc just look for the shops that claim to be traditional, because good shops don't claim it they ARE traditional!!

rant over lol

and your chippie is...??

Does anyone have the number/e-mail for Robs Fish and Chips @ greenhill? Thanks

Can`t answer your question but can you give me an opinion on the quality of their food. I have not tried the food yet but whenever I have driven past there has always been lengthy queues.

the best ones are the ones who never overcook the fish and leave it sitting in a hot cupboard

4mins deep fried hot oil cooked in front of you..

So how long if it's cut from 32oz+, 4 mins is ok for small codling, but then if they are using codling they are not using mature fish, which do you prefer then? over fished "young" cod that is being depleted? Or mature cod responsibly fished and cut from the thick part of the fillet cannot be cooked in 4 mins?