Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

andyb

Whitby at catcliff its a good price and great portion sizes

Those are the 2 things I don't look for in a good chip shop. Price and Portion sizes.

I couldn't care less if it's £10 for fish and chips - if the quality is excellent I'd pay it.

And those chip shops that tend to serve HUGE portion sizes seem to be very popular these-days. This trend towards providing HUGE portions was started by foreigners coming here and setting up fish and chip shops in order to outdo the traditional ones. They couldn't beat them on quality, so they beat them on quantity, with really huge fish and 1 portion of chips big enough to feed a whole family.

Sadly, it caught on.

Been today and had a lovely starter of smoked salmon and monkfish terrine with hot toast. then I had the fish and chips with mushy peas. The fish and batter was perfect but the chips let them down. The chips are far far too dry.

The place is clean friendly and I'd go back again. I know it's suppose to be based on the Magpie [ so I've heard ] at Whitby but that would take some beating but it definately beats Harry Ramsdens.

Been today and had a lovely starter of smoked salmon and monkfish terrine with hot toast. then I had the fish and chips with mushy peas. The fish and batter was perfect but the chips let them down. The chips are far far too dry.

The place is clean friendly and I'd go back again. I know it's suppose to be based on the Magpie [ so I've heard ] at Whitby but that would take some beating but it definately beats Harry Ramsdens.

Anything beats Harry Ramsdens. It's been a joke since 1988.

what a load of rubbish, good price for a takeaway £1.60 for chips?

you dont mind if they are any good but unfortunately they are not!!!

too heavyhanded with the pepper and the same old mushed up fish in the fishcakes, tonys at mosborough beats any other chippy hands down

what a load of rubbish, good price for a takeaway £1.60 for chips?

you dont mind if they are any good but unfortunately they are not!!!

too heavyhanded with the pepper and the same old mushed up fish in the fishcakes, tonys at mosborough beats any other chippy hands down

I agree with your recommendation of Tony's - but he doesn't open Mondays does he? As I found out to my peril this week! Someone said the Admiral was good - and it is - but not in the same league as Tony's. The Admiral is another one of those, "let's give them the biggest, longest V-shaped fish we can, plus enough chips to feed half the population of Owlthorpe".

and it's not cod either!

Brenda's on Earl Way, or the Castle Market Chippy. Bouth part of the same family. Both excellent. I believe the new one at Greenhill and the Woodseats Chippy, and maybe Robin Hoods Bay, are all part of the same family.

Last lot I had from Woodseats weren't as good as I expected. Fish was overcooked and the batter didn't seem as good. Maybe a one-off though as they've always been excellent in the past.

I have bought many, many portions of fish and chips from Woodseats Fisheries over the last 10 years, but I would like to say that, in my opinion, something has changed in the last year or so that has stopped me from going back as regularly.

I do still buy from there, because I pass it on the way home (and it's better than the red one on the left and the one on Meadowhead) but it's genuinely not what it was.

My mate, visiting from Portsmouth one weekend, always raved on about "that portion of fish and chips he had in Sheffield".

Anyway, the strange thing is - it's very difficult to put my finger on exactly what has changed. I believe it to be the fish itself, but I could be convinced otherwise if someone said they knew for sure. I have also noticed many more instances of bones being present in the fish, which I think there is no excuse for.

Hippo