Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

andyb

Okie doke. I tried Two Stops today. Niiice. I got the cod and mushy peas again. The cod is reasonable-ish to be honest at 3.50. Quite large. Happy with that. Then the peas is quite mushy. Nice. :) I think it's a little bit pricier than Trawler's Catch in the city centre but I can deal with that.

I also tried a fish rissole too out of curiosity. Not too impressed with this because I thought that the proper ones were meant to be deep fried and not breadcrumbed. It really is just a fishcake, and not a rissole. It is quite nice, and quite reasonable for the price as well.

One thing I loved about this place was that the coating was yellow and golden, and not brown. If the oil is brown then it does mean that it is almost burnt. But I can understand this as if you use animal fat, then it is more likely to burn too. I do like this place as the batter is indeed lighter. I have to find a place where I can try lard fried fish. I am not 100% convinced yet.

Fishcakes are deep fried and rissoles are breadcrumbed in Sheffield

• 3 weeks later...
Fishcakes are deep fried and rissoles are breadcrumbed in Sheffield

In most of the UK the definition of a rissole is a savoury meat and potato based pattie coated in breadcrumbs. A 'fishcake' is a minced fish, usually Ling or Pollock, parsley and potato based pattie coated in breadcrumbs. However a Yorkshire fishcake, bloody nice they are too and by far superior to the minced fish and potato variety, available in South and West Yorkshire is a deep fried cake with trimmed fish, usually haddock or pollock sandwiched between two slices of potato, it is usually referred to as a fish scallop or Yorkshire Fishcake outside the Sheffield area. I speak with knowledge as my family were a generation of Sheffield chip shop owners.

Broomheads at Crookes or the really little old chippy on Valley Rd at Meersbrook are very good,also the one at Greenhill Village(not the newer one on the roundabout) is good.Although not in Sheffield a really good one is at Chesterfield just off The Old Sheffield Rd just off the roundabout at the end of the bypass.My rule of thumb is I wont use them if they sell kebabs or chicken seems to work just fine!

The new fish and chip restaurant Seafayre on Charles Street (the former Castle Market chippy) is well worth a visit. The frying medium is beef dripping, as it should be.

Quite agree. Not many places use beef dripping any more and you can catch a wiff of the wonderful smell down Pinstone Street from this place. Definitely the best fish and chips in city centre.

Now, if only they introduce newspaper as plates ...

In most of the UK the definition of a rissole is a savoury meat and potato based pattie coated in breadcrumbs. A 'fishcake' is a minced fish, usually Ling or Pollock, parsley and potato based pattie coated in breadcrumbs. However a Yorkshire fishcake, bloody nice they are too and by far superior to the minced fish and potato variety, available in South and West Yorkshire is a deep fried cake with trimmed fish, usually haddock or pollock sandwiched between two slices of potato, it is usually referred to as a fish scallop or Yorkshire Fishcake outside the Sheffield area. I speak with knowledge as my family were a generation of Sheffield chip shop owners.

I wondered about that, because I have seen potato layers in fishcakes, and I thought I was being conned ! :hihi:

Thanks for clarifying that.

• 7 months later...