Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

andyb

In most of the UK the definition of a rissole is a savoury meat and potato based pattie coated in breadcrumbs. A 'fishcake' is a minced fish, usually Ling or Pollock, parsley and potato based pattie coated in breadcrumbs. However a Yorkshire fishcake, bloody nice they are too and by far superior to the minced fish and potato variety, available in South and West Yorkshire is a deep fried cake with trimmed fish, usually haddock or pollock sandwiched between two slices of potato, it is usually referred to as a fish scallop or Yorkshire Fishcake outside the Sheffield area. I speak with knowledge as my family were a generation of Sheffield chip shop owners.

The great fishcake and bread cob debate lol. I was born in southey Green then moved to Wickersley but in 1987 moved to a village called "Whitwell" where we bought a fish and chip shop. it's 4 miles from junction 30 of the M1 we have a Sheffield postcode, our address is Nottinghamshire and are under Derbyshire county council and several times a day the same discussion crops up. Is it a fish cake or a rissole? To me the breaded one is the rissole and the two slices of potato with cod in the middle (pinch of salt and pepper) is the fish cake. We have just learned to listen to the customers accent and give them which we think the want. We have just over the last 3 years had a new block of flats built which has bought quite a few "sheffielders" in. Out fish cake sales have risen lol.

The great fishcake and bread cob debate lol. I was born in southey Green then moved to Wickersley but in 1987 moved to a village called "Whitwell" where we bought a fish and chip shop. it's 4 miles from junction 30 of the M1 we have a Sheffield postcode, our address is Nottinghamshire and are under Derbyshire county council and several times a day the same discussion crops up. Is it a fish cake or a rissole? To me the breaded one is the rissole and the two slices of potato with cod in the middle (pinch of salt and pepper) is the fish cake. We have just learned to listen to the customers accent and give them which we think the want. We have just over the last 3 years had a new block of flats built which has bought quite a few "sheffielders" in. Out fish cake sales have risen lol.

This must be why Whitwell is posted as "Whitwell Derbys" on the train departure boards on Robin Hood Line. I could never understand it. What other Whitwells are there? Do you fry in beef dripping? And are you near the train station?

This must be why Whitwell is posted as "Whitwell Derbys" on the train departure boards on Robin Hood Line. I could never understand it. What other Whitwells are there? Do you fry in beef dripping? And are you near the train station?

We do fry in beef dripping yes. We are a 10 minute walk from the train station. I don't know how many more Whitwell's there are lol.

I have used Darnall Fisheries for years always been happy I travel over six miles to get my Fish & Chips there.

got to agree with you, if i am out and about i will travel further to go here, the queues at lunchtime especially fridays speak for themselves.