Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

andyb

CODROPHENIA, 82 Walkley Bank Road Sheffield, South Yorkshire S6 5AL. It was good last time I went, the owner is a nice chap, not been open thought the last few times I have driven by.

I remember this one years,ago run by an old boy who used to sells fish and chips at ridiculously low prices .

• 2 months later...

I used to be a big fan of the fish 'n' chip cafe in the old Castle Market and, although disappointed when they didn't move to the Moor, was relieved when they opened in the former Pollards coffee shop - a bit more expensive but still good quality. The fish 'n' chips are still good but today I was charged £1.20 for one (yes, one!) standard tea bag, a teapot of fairly hot water (too much water for the size of the teabag!) and about a tablespoonful of milk! My complaint was answered by "That's the going price around here for a cup of tea"! Perhaps it is in tea/coffee shops where customers go to relax, have a chat or a just a rest whilst out shopping but - in my opinion - it's a rip-off for a "cup of tea" accompanying a fish 'n' chip meal. I won't be going back............

@cleckheck........I'm sorry we disappoint you, let me try and clarify for you.

Debenhams,,,£1.75 for a 1 cup pot of tea ( tea bag) Brand not known

£1.85 for speciality tea (tea bag)

John Lewis £1.95 1 cup pot of tea (tea bag) twinings

We charged £1.20 for a 1 cup pot of speciality loose leaf tea with a infuser, we thought that was a fair price for TWO small cups of tea.

We then are asked for ONE pot of tea 3 or four cups and a pot of hot water.

Based on 4 cups that is 30p a cup of speciality tea, take the VAT off it is now 25p per cup and also tied up 2 tea pots that cost £12 each (please feel free to google 1 cup tea pot with infuser to verify price).

We then tried to charge people for a jug of hot water to try and get people to have just a pot of tea, but people thought it wrong to be charged for hot water......even though they were only paying £1.20 for a pot of tea.

So we now do a 1 cup pot of tea with a tea bag for £1.20, which equates to 60p per cup.

If you require more milk you only need to ask the waitress, unlike Debenhams and John Lewis we do have waitress service included in the price of £1.20.

The hot water does come out of a automatic water boiler so is kept at temperature preset, sorry you don't find it hot enough.

Being more expensive than being in the market.....we now have a lot more overheads to cover and I believe a far better environment than the market, again we have tried to keep prices fair, I also think that the prices for our meals compete very well with other RESTAURANTS.

I hope this clarifies things for you, and sorry to lose your custom.

Regards

Seafayre

For people reading this thread please check our reviews on Trip advisor

Edited by marketman
new readers

I'm not sure it's called Dixons nowadays. Anyway, we used to gather outside there after the Greenhill Methodist youth club finished at 9pm on Thursdays, much to the annoyance of the owners of the grocery shop next door. I too am talking 50 years ago! To be honest, I never rated Dixon's fish & chips. Best fish & chips I ever tasted were from Colley's at Bridlington, but they're long gone.

I went to the school opposite Dixons, we used to hang around until Mr Roberts had taken all the school dinner kids up to Greenhill Junior School. I always preferred to Dixons to Cranns, I remember the youth club in the church!