Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

andyb

Poseidon on Abbey Lane Woodseats has been a fav for a while but their batter is hopeless. Always stuck on the paper when you get home. Another price rise to £6:60 this week for Fish and Chips has me looking elsewhere now i'm afraid.

Poseidon on Abbey Lane Woodseats has been a fav for a while but their batter is hopeless. Always stuck on the paper when you get home. Another price rise to £6:60 this week for Fish and Chips has me looking elsewhere now i'm afraid.

What a rip off !

If we're talking pubs rather than Fish and Chip shops, I paid £6.25 for a "mini" cod and chips at the Sportsman in Lodge Moor, a portion more generous than any normal cod and chips I've ever had in a takeaway. Fresh, crisp batter, flaky fish, great chips. Probably the best value, tastiest pub meal I've had in quite some time. If you want to go for the jumbo portion, take a hungry friend!

What a rip off !

I have had a meeting with a buyer at one of my suppliers this week. Next week I am increasing most prices too. Cod up £20 for a 60lb case, potatoes are already increasing 50p a sack due to the poor weather when they were lifted they are not in the best, so good ones are priced at a premium. My dripping which is imported from Germany is £1.50 a box dearer! As a sole trader I can't absorb these costs much longer. My regular cod (7oz) and a portion of chips will now go over the £5 mark!

went to chippy last night next to viva tequila , I think its called townend fish bar . the chips were ok but the fishcakes were rancid , some sort of mashed up fish that definitely was not cod or haddock . Honestly it was vile

It used to be good before it changed hands a few years ago.

I can recommend the Market Chippy and also Woodseats Fisheries. I've been to both recently and both were superb. Along with Brenda's, they could hold their own in Leeds, chippy capital of Yorkshire.

I believe they are all owned by members of the same extended family mind you, so it must be a genetic thing.