Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

andyb

11 hours ago, bendix said:

Poseidon are opening another branch - bang on the Hunters Bar roundabout on Eccie Road, where Ceres used to be. 

I tried the original one on Abbey Lane, the portions were large but I found the quality lacking.

• 1 month later...
On 09/02/2003 at 11:52, Guest PaulK said:

I Agree RPG!

There is only one good place in England for chips and thats cornwall. Newquay, Padstow, Wadebridge all have good chippies. By far one of the best I've been to is Harry Ramsdens and Barnicutts.

Ther best one in Sheffield is probably Harthill chippy. Its gorgeous, its not in Sheffield but on the outskirts. Try it.

Paul

There used to be a cracking chippy in Rutland road I used to get a drip-cake and fire a fish cake in there proper job 

• 2 months later...
On 01/04/2020 at 17:53, Pkingy said:

Any chippie that doesn't chuck chicken fryits and god knows what else into the same fat  that the chips and fish are cooked in . I know one in Manchester where their menu is cod haddock plaice and mushy peas and chips that's it. I go past twice a week an they are queiuing in the street. been in three times and I can see what all the fuss is about now

You'll have to tell us where that one in Manchester is?  Not the one on Liverpool Road is it by any chance?

On 10/02/2020 at 20:02, FIRETHORN1 said:

Does anyone know of any fish and chip shops that open on  Sunday afternoons/early evenings? A little relative of mine begged for fish and chips from a chippy for his birthday tea, but being a Sunday, his parents had to tell him that chippies don't open on a Sunday. It's some sort of ancient by-law, apparently! However, we heard through the grapevine that there's a chippy somewhere on or around  Herries Rd, S5, that actually does open on Sundays.

Does anyone know of this mythical place..... if so, where it is … and whether their fish and chips is any good?  

This one does - open 11am - 9pm.  I've tried it twice and the quality is good.  

https://www.whitbysrestaurant.co.uk/ 

And if you should ever get the wanderlust to explore the outer reaches of the Peak District, then this little place in the charming village of Longnor is well worth a visit, as I think you can tell from the photo (link below).  Opens lunch and evenings (not Monday, Wednesday or Sunday unfortunately) and turns out excellent quality fish and chips - you can sit in as well as take away.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x487a3af2d0728bb3%3A0xf9a0497f5c292317!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOn7EIazDWQFDuWlgusoQvDLXXfvY0wsHE6Vy88%3Dw120-h160-k-no!5slongnor fish and chips - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOn7EIazDWQFDuWlgusoQvDLXXfvY0wsHE6Vy88&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiUt-u699PrAhWIC-wKHbJ3B_4QoiowCnoECBgQBg#

Edited by DerbyTup

3 hours ago, markfor said:

Went to New Cod on Block Commonside

Didn't have cash so she trusted me to bring money later! Impressive

Buy now pay later - sounds good to me.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyone remember the White House at Pitsmoor - used to be the best fish and chips in Sheff them and Dixons on London Rd.

Best fish and chips we've had were in a little village near Burton Constable and at Prestwick (2 fillets none of that single piece of fish rubbish in Scotland) best battered Haggis Brampton (Nr Carlisle) (Hadrians wall).

Keep safe

Eat well.

• 2 weeks later...

This little gem just off Sheffield Road at Whittington Moor,  (just after the big roundabout with James's Cycles)  is technically not in Sheffield of course - but as many of us may travel up and down that A61 between here and Chesterfield I thought it worth pointing out.  

http://www.margarets-chippy.co.uk/index.html

Only open at lunchtimes, Wednesday through Saturday.  Downside:  Big queues - can take half an hour to get served!  Upside:  Delicious fish and chips done the traditional way and not expensive.

Edited by DerbyTup

• 4 weeks later...

I recently had fish and chips from a new chippie called Poseidon, at corner of Hunters Bar roundabout and I must say the chips were very good indeed. I would definitely recommend it. Its a real competitor to TwoSteps chippie also in the area (Sharrowvale).

only one for me or several really,i go to woodseats fisheries,top class cooked in dripping ,big cod ,chips peas top class or sheffield market,attercliffe, or brendas ,back of the moor,theres a goodun in bakewell as well,dripping is they key and home made batter,queued half an hour at woodseats thats the sign of any top chippy.