Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

andyb

Ive tried several Admirals and they are all rubbish! Small portions and chips arent nice wither!

My best chippy is Woodhouse Fish and Chips shop (i think thats what its called!) Its called woodhouse something anyways! Since the old owners (they were really nice people) left for Cyprus, it went abit downhill for awhile then it got back on track. I think its changed hands a few more times...

Anyways, they're chips are lovely and fishs are big and the portions are very generous sizes.

the best one ever (now sadly departed) was the battersea cod's home on howard road in walkley. it was called 'bryan' before that. it's now a chinese called wok this way. so many puns for one little shop

I agree.....and the good news is....

It re-opened as Codrophenia in Walkley!!!! Ian is still there having a good chat with everyone and still making the best fish and chips. They really do taste so much better than other places, plus vege options too.

Long live Codrophenia!!!!

Fish and chips in Leeds are way better than any I've had in Sheffield.

I can believe that. The West Yorkshire way with fish and chips is to cook in beef dripping, which produces a far superior end product to any you usually find in Sheffield (or elsewhere for that matter).

When I lived around Broomhill - a good 16 years ago now, mind - Broomheads at Crookes used to use beef dripping, and their fish and chips did approach West Yorkshire standards.

I can believe that. The West Yorkshire way with fish and chips is to cook in beef dripping, which produces a far superior end product to any you usually find in Sheffield (or elsewhere for that matter).

When I lived around Broomhill - a good 16 years ago now, mind - Broomheads at Crookes used to use beef dripping, and their fish and chips did approach West Yorkshire standards.

There is one who still do this in Greenhill village, they are yummy, although I don't know the name it is on Annesley road.

Avoid the Paris Fish Bar on Hickmott Road at all costs. It's almost always empty, and for a very good reason: their food is terrible.

It would be nice to get some chips with my grease.

Around the corner is Two Steps, which can't be described as great either, but is always busy because they at least serve up something vaguely reminiscent of food.

devonshire chippy used to be great years ago, then it went right down hill, tried again a few time over the last couple of month and they've got much better again - not quite up to their best of old though

the one on shoreham street opposite SUFC ground has the most gorgeous batter I've tasted in sheffield, the chips are good too

just avoid popeye's on west street no matter what :gag: