All Saints C of E School/Grange Grammar School

atkin

You're right - Miss Warrilow was still there in 1968 as I recall and taught French. I've also remembered Mrs Harrison - Science, Mrs Gilbert - Latin. With regard to Miss Ward, I believe there was something like that as there was Miss Ward and Mrs Ward and they both lived in the same house at Dore, but as to the exact realtionships I couldn't be sure.

I loved our uniform because in 1961 when I went there, we were about the only girls grammar school in the city that didn't have to wear gymslips, always ordinary skirts and blouses!

Those dammed berets!!! Did anyone ever like wearing them? Why did we have them? They served no purpose other than to get me detention for not wearing it. Still, they weren't boaters or panamas and during the 60's with the beehive hairstyles they could be folded up and hairgripped to the back of the head, hidden behind the backcombing!

• 2 years later...

Now living in Australia, it is very cheering to read about my old school. I was there from '56 till '63. Left for Newcastle & never returned. Mrs Ward was the stepmother and Miss Ward was a great English teacher. My 2 daughters went to a similiar school here, but we had to pay enormous fees whilst my education was free. So much for progress.I have very fond memories and would love to hear from other old girls- Olga Tyreman Barbara Saunders Susan Cowan Glenise Bedford Joyce Boyd to name a few

:)

I went to Grange Grammar School for Girls from 1961 to 1968. As I left, the school finished as Grange Grammar and amalgamated with Abbeydale Girls and Abbeydale Boys schools to become Abbeydale Grange School, falling in line with the national policy of comprehensive education.

While I was there the school was two old houses, Grange House and Holt House set in beautiful grounds a few hundred yards apart with prefabricated and brick buildings in between. The Hall/gymnasium was the brick building, completely detached from any other building meaning that on wet days school assembly was cancelled and prayers were held in the classrooms. The prefab buildings housed the dining hall, first year classrooms, art block, science labs, cookery and needlework rooms.

Second and third years plus the lower sixth had their classrooms in Grange House and fourth and fifth years plus the upper sixth had rooms in Holt House. Also in Holt House was the music room and another art room.

Just outside the entrance to Grange House was "The Yew Tree". Any girl who went to Grange should remember the yew tree, it was where you met up with friends at the end of the day or at any other time in between lessons!

Both of the old house had big sweeping staircases and a set of narrow stairs, presumably the old servants stairs. To avoid accidents and congestion the rule was always "Up the back stairs - Down the main stairs". Woe betide any girl caught going the wrong way up or down a flight of stairs! I always wanted to slide down the bannister of the stairs in Holt House, but never got the courage. To slide down the bannisters in Grange would have been suicide as the headmistresses office was at the foot of these!

Staff (I recall)

Head Mistress - Miss Helen Rawlings

Music - Miss Jackie Williams

French - Miss Betty Rigby

French - Miss Longmuir

English - Miss Ward

English - Miss Ruff

Maths - Mrs Reynolds

Maths - Mrs Evison

Geography - Miss Elspeth Fyfe

Geography - Mrs Perry

History - Mrs Whitby

History - Miss Sheila Truswell

Domestic Science - Miss Secker

Science - Mrs Hall

Science - Miss Jenny Henderson

German - Miss Harvatt

Art - Mrs Senior

PE - Mrs Greenwood

PE - Mrs Robertson

As I understand it now, Holt House has been pulled down (shame!) and new residential houses built. I wonder what happened to the ghost that reportedly walked through Holt House????

I'm surprised some of thosr teachers were still there in'68. Not many men on the staff!!! Mrs Perry must have frightened them off as she did us??

What a pity Holt House was destroyed as I spent many an hour gazing out of windows thinking of distant places as Mrs Perry droned on.Sheila Truswell did inspire me with a lifelong love of history and the needfor a visit to Europe from the antipodes each year.

I was there just before you Sampson, left in 1961 just as you were starting. I remember most of the teachers you mention plus Miss Pogson who taught history, Miss Holt (PE) and Mrs Luspay (?spelling) who taught German. Miss Nelson taught Science and she it was who married Miss Ward's father. Miss Truswell had a knack for inspiring pupils - she also inspired a lifelong love of history in me. She introduced me while she was on library duty one day to Georgette Heyer's Regency novels which I've loved ever since. No-one's mentioned the library, that black wooden building in the gardens below the Grange.

And the dreaded berets, surely no-one ever looked good in them?

Archived