John Bedford & Sons Ltd, Mowbray St. Neepsend

hey up gritman,

i didn`t know that you had worked at bedfords !

I`VE G0T YOUR EX GAFFERS MAHOGANY SH----SE SEAT ON MY TOILET.

I BOUGHT THE CONTENTS OF THE OFFICES WHEN THEY SHUT DOWN & COULDN`T RESIST THE THOUGHTS OF HAVING THE MANAGING DIRECTORS PERSONAL, HIGHLY POLISHED,HARDWOOD,(POSSIBLY HANDMADE) THRONE SEAT.

• 1 year later...
Hi Parkwooder, no Bedfords did'nt have buffers as such but they did have a lot of lovely lady file cutters who dressed themselves up in a similar manner to Buffers to keep the muck off them caused by the job they were employed to do. I had a lot of respect for them lasses, salt of the earth they were, hard working, best jokers in the world and never a dull moment. How they put up with the hammering of the machines they worked I don't know, there were no ear muffs in those days.

The Parkwood used to be a Whitbread House and the Douglas was Stones I'm sure. I seem to remember the Douglas as the cosiest of the two even though it was right up there in the farthest corner. Why I found myself up there drinking whilst I lived in Meersbrook I'll never know, once you got of the bus at "The Gardners" you were on your own. Good days in any event.

I've still not identified your Aunt Mary but hopefully someone will once they have read the Forum, I've only been a member two weeks and it is absolutely amazing the people I have been in touch with whether we knew each other or not.

Keep in touch if you come up with something else re Bedfords.

Regards

Neil Memmott

Sorry to contradict you but they did employ buffers ,brown paper leggings and aprons.Also `traditional`cloth turbans.They worked in the manicure dep`t polishing tweezers etc.

It was Arnold Wright

Thanks for that. I remember when they installed (or was it moved) a file cutting machine, the foundations had to be very deep (due to the vibrations) and were, I think, filled with concrete. They employed two Irishmen to dig it out, I've never seen anyone work as hard digging a hole, and by the time they had finished there heads were well below the floor level. I wonder if similar machines are used today.

He worked in the File department as a foreman. He left to be a full time driving instructer.

hey how about that ! did you know him then he's my dad, he just retired from the driving instructing last year, how do you know him i'm sure he would be interested to know?

:D:help:

Hello Neil,

I was there from around 1970 to 1974,worked in the toolroom at the end of the yard 2nd floor,had plenty of laughs though, despite some of the gaffers being a bit regimental,some of the workforce were real characters.Good times they were.

anyone remember a Keith Thompson i think he worked in tool dept,love to hear from him

• 1 month later...

Hi All

It being Xmas Eve I was getting a bit nostalgic and came across this site...Wow! all then names from "Bedford's"....Happy Times...

I worked in the wages office from 1961 - 1964 and knew all the workers by their clock numbers and can still remember the odd ones even now after 40yrs. My boss was Mary Cox...I used to pay out the wages every Friday in the time house with Mr Baggely and the one armed timekeeper in attendance.If there was anyone who did'nt make it for their pay I was the one who opened that little window in the pay office at the top of the flight of stairs I married Tony Callaghan who worked in the plating shop (electro plating).

Ah Happy times....

MERRY XMAS

Hi Pisces,

Shropshire is a long way from Mowbray Street. I remember the name Mary Cox (I remember her as being a slim woman) and I certainly remember big George Baggley and the one arm guy I can picture without any difficulty but his name slips the memory.

You would remember Joyce in your office the one who married David Ballard the advertising manager. I met up with David years later at Presto Tools, we had adjoining offices up on the very top floor, it was known as the penthouse suite, sadly no more.

Anyway it's good to speak to you, I hope you had a good Christmas, have a happy 2010.

regards,