Mulberry Tavern now re-opened as Affinity

nickyjones8

Well hello, new to the forum, and as the name suggests... I run Lions Lair with a mate of mine.

I am very happy that a new gay venue is opening, if anything it will make the scene stronger, and like it has been mentioned, will hopefully keep people in Sheffield rather than swanning off to Leeds etc. Since Fuel closed, Dempseys only competition has been Climax's once a month effort, so this will keep things interesting if nothing else!

Looking forward to the opening night anyways, we'll certainly be there to support it.

Cheers

Graham

I hope they have stocked the bar up for you Graham :P:P

no, pubs aren't all to everybody's taste, but surely you agree more people will decide to exclude themselves from a gay bar than from walkabout or varsity? its very risky, i think declaring it a gay bar right from the start is a bad way of doing it - fine, allow it to open up to all and develop a reputation if it is embraced by the gay population of sheffield - but what if they don't like it? what happens then?

I don't agree that more will exclude themselves from this place than Walkabout or Varsity! I don't know a single soul who would drink in Varsity! I am 35 and work in a charity and noone I know socially or via work would drink there - It's just a bit grubby! Walkabout is ok ish early doors, but never after 6! Just because you like somewhere and you know people who drink there doesn't make it popular with everyone... We need variety and gay venues are too few in Sheffield... I am sure, if it's on the same lines as the classier bars in Manc etc, I will embrace it and love it! I might say that cheapo tat pubs couldn't work in the boom times, who wants to drink where students wander stinking of vom? But they sprung up in the boom times and survived all along West Street, didn't they? I am guessing that this is as close as you've come to chatting with a gay man? If you knew more gay people, you'd know there is a terrible shortage of gay venues in Sheff, although this is something Sheffield should have had ten years ago! It is possible for me to go out with my partner to other random bars these days, and the nicer the venue the less chance of agro... Ten years ago I wouldn't have dared kiss my fella in a 'straight' bar, but that isn't always the case now... Some places I would feel ok doing that!

You have a issue with declaring it a gay bar straight away??? Why??? The gay community need to know, so we can support it!!!

Well good luck to the new place. It's been shut and looking terrible for as long as I can remember. It looks like it was probably at best an average pub even when it WAS open, so maybe its best days are yet to come.

The main question though is will it have cask ale?

The problem for cask ale in the Mulberry is the cellar. It doesnt have one. When I worked there in the 70s and 80s the cellar was at the rear of the upstairs bar and it was a nightmare keeping it cool and there wasnt much floor space. We had those big 180 gallon tanks of Stones Bitter and Black Label lager. With the amount of beer/lager we sold in those days there wouldnt have been room to lay down the barrels. Unless things have changed I think you will be lucky to get cask beer.

Well good luck to the new place. It's been shut and looking terrible for as long as I can remember. It looks like it was probably at best an average pub even when it WAS open, so maybe its best days are yet to come.

The main question though is will it have cask ale?

The problem for cask ale in the Mulberry is the cellar. It doesnt have one. When I worked there in the 70s and 80s the cellar was at the rear of the upstairs bar and it was a nightmare keeping it cool and there wasnt much floor space. We had those big 180 gallon tanks of Stones Bitter and Black Label lager. With the amount of beer/lager we sold in those days there wouldnt have been room to lay down the barrels. Unless things have changed I think you will be lucky to get cask beer.

Rebels night club had the same problem. They had no cellar as such, but massive steel tanks which were filled with beer in a tiny room to the side of the bar....impossible to serve cask ale.....

I went to view the place early this year, with a view to doing what Affinity are doing... but i decided the costs didn't stack up right... anyway, they have a huge beer cellar on the top floor where the 3 bedroom flat is. It must be 10x5 metres, concrete floor / walls / ceiling, and air conditioned, with great access from the tall doors at the rear of the property, so its more than possible to do cask. There are 3 floors to the place, the basement room, the main bar, and the living accom and cellar on the top.

I would be more concerned as to wether cask would sell, i would say the main custom will come from under 30's, i just can't see it worth them doing maybe more than one, if that. We shall see, time will tell!

I know at Lions Lair, Tetleys and Black Sheep were stopped as it was never asked for, and the beer went out of date so fast.

I don't agree that more will exclude themselves from this place than Walkabout or Varsity! I don't know a single soul who would drink in Varsity! I am 35 and work in a charity and noone I know socially or via work would drink there - It's just a bit grubby! Walkabout is ok ish early doors, but never after 6! Just because you like somewhere and you know people who drink there doesn't make it popular with everyone...

okay fine, easy to say that, my parents wouldn't exclude themselves either but what demographic are the vast majority of those that go out drinking? what will the friday and saturday night crowd be like? the majority.

We need variety and gay venues are too few in Sheffield... I am sure, if it's on the same lines as the classier bars in Manc etc, I will embrace it and love it! I might say that cheapo tat pubs couldn't work in the boom times, who wants to drink where students wander stinking of vom?

sheffield is miles off and will never become what manchester is. the mulberry tavern is a pub, is it not? not a bar like on west street.

I am guessing that this is as close as you've come to chatting with a gay man?

how have you come to that conclusion? but no, you are incorrect in that assumption.

If you knew more gay people, you'd know there is a terrible shortage of gay venues in Sheff, although this is something Sheffield should have had ten years ago! It is possible for me to go out with my partner to other random bars these days, and the nicer the venue the less chance of agro... Ten years ago I wouldn't have dared kiss my fella in a 'straight' bar, but that isn't always the case now... Some places I would feel ok doing that!

i know there is a shortage of gay venues in sheffield. when have i ever said anything to the contrary? i am thinking of this from the business's point of view and not that of the gay community. i'm sure they would love to have hundreds of bars, but that wouldn't be viable would it? is this pub really viable as an exclusive gay venue in the current economic climate? i have my doubts.

You have a issue with declaring it a gay bar straight away??? Why??? The gay community need to know, so we can support it!!!

what if you don't like it and choose to drink in the elsewhere? what does it do then? seriously, do the gay community have to be shepherded into pubs - can they not make decisions on their own and establish a presence?

Sharp87... you're quite right, the gay lot do not need to be shepherded into pubs, but i can tell you, as a gay guy (30yrs old now), it never feels comfortable being touchy feely or kissing another guy in just any bar. Times have improved, but we cant just do it anywhere. Hence gay bars, and at the minute there are only 3 in Sheffield centre, soon to be 4 (Mulberry).

We'll wait and see if the place actually shows its gay to passers by when it opens, as in flags and the like. The point i'm making is, i hope they will run it with the same emphasis as we run Lions Lair with, the people who want to find a gay bar know we are gay run, but to new passers by they wouldn't know. The gay lot cannot support a venue solely, so it will need a straight crowd also. I can't say that there are enough people on this forum to spread the word its gay, so how will the majority know, unless they want to find out?

I went to view the place early this year, with a view to doing what Affinity are doing... but i decided the costs didn't stack up right... anyway, they have a huge beer cellar on the top floor where the 3 bedroom flat is. It must be 10x5 metres, concrete floor / walls / ceiling, and air conditioned, with great access from the tall doors at the rear of the property, so its more than possible to do cask. There are 3 floors to the place, the basement room, the main bar, and the living accom and cellar on the top.

I would be more concerned as to wether cask would sell, i would say the main custom will come from under 30's, i just can't see it worth them doing maybe more than one, if that. We shall see, time will tell!

I know at Lions Lair, Tetleys and Black Sheep were stopped as it was never asked for, and the beer went out of date so fast.

dont be mislead by all the real ale drinkers just buy all leading brands carling etc at the right price sell plenty of it make plenty of money and bingo youve cracked it p.s keep the lines clean all the very best

Archived