Mulberry Tavern now re-opened as Affinity

nickyjones8

Sharp87... you're quite right, the gay lot do not need to be shepherded into pubs, but i can tell you, as a gay guy (30yrs old now), it never feels comfortable being touchy feely or kissing another guy in just any bar. Times have improved, but we cant just do it anywhere. Hence gay bars, and at the minute there are only 3 in Sheffield centre, soon to be 4 (Mulberry).

We'll wait and see if the place actually shows its gay to passers by when it opens, as in flags and the like. The point i'm making is, i hope they will run it with the same emphasis as we run Lions Lair with, the people who want to find a gay bar know we are gay run, but to new passers by they wouldn't know. The gay lot cannot support a venue solely, so it will need a straight crowd also. I can't say that there are enough people on this forum to spread the word its gay, so how will the majority know, unless they want to find out?

very fair explanation, i agree with that tbh.

dont be mislead by all the real ale drinkers just buy all leading brands carling etc at the right price sell plenty of it make plenty of money and bingo youve cracked it p.s keep the lines clean all the very best

easy as that isn't it :hihi:

I remember talking to the owner of Affinity (Tony) on the weekend it was closing and he said that Afinity would be re-opening at the Mulberry Tavern in September (now November). There has been many rumours that they didn't have the money and that they are struggling to get the 6 o'clock licence, but they now have it?

The other things he mentioned is that Mulberry Tavern will be re-named "Affinity" and that most drinks will be cheaper than the current prices, because they are in a cheaper place for the brewery apparently. It says a lot about Affinity's prices when they are actually 20p more expensive than Dempseys for a pint of lager.

I'm not too sure that this is the correct location to put a gay bar either, but hopefully it will be a success and avoid any trouble.I also remember Tony mentioning that they will not allow straigh people in the bar, because the bouncers will know who is gay and who isn't. I'm not even sure who is going to work there, because I have talked to quite a few of the original staff who said they don't want to work there and one who said he doesn't even want to go in the new Affinity because of the location.

Anyway I think this should be an upturn, but to get the customer out of Dempsey's is going to be a hard job. I'm all for getting out of Dempseys, just for the fact it's a dump and that the prices are sky high. Hopefully Affinity will not be thinking about £££ in the first few months and that there is actually some room in this place, because quite frankly every gay venue in Sheffield is crummy and small. There will be an entry fee too, which it will be intresting to see what that is. There needs to be value for money in the entrance fee, which you do get with Dempsey's, £3 for a 6-7 hours (if you wanted) whilst it is £4 in LL and has the worst toilets in Sheffield. It's a bit guttering that everything is a bit far away from each other because I don't mind all the gay venue's apart from LL. Sanctuary is very nice, but clearly needs to do something to uptake in business, whilst Affinity is sounding to be good, Xes just gets customers in for you know what and Dempsey's seems to get everything right, but I think there is more oppurtunity for Dempsey's if they was able to expand.

Anyway, according to some sources Affinity will be re-opening on the weeekend of 27th November at Mulberry Tavern.

I also remember Tony mentioning that they will not allow straigh people in the bar, because the bouncers will know who is gay and who isn't.

That should be easy, because all gay people go round eating quiche, wear tight tank tops, talk in a high pitch camp voice and have limp wrists, dont they? :loopy:

What a ridiculous thing to say. How will a bouncer, probably in his 30's, married with kids and with very little exposure to gay lifestyles, suddenly be blessed with the greatest gaydar on the planet?

The bar will last no time at all if the owner insists on peddling that policy. Some gay people are as straight as they come.

Plus its illegal!

Archived