Mulberry Tavern now re-opened as Affinity

nickyjones8

Apparently opens in 2 weeks I heard 26th Nov. Be good to know for sure but guess its not easy to give actual date till all the work is actually finished.

Looking forward to a new quality venue in Sheff - Good luck to them!

Yup, was a bit ahead of meself in the dates department; with any luck, Affinity Mk II will open on (Thursday) 26th November.

The launch nights of Kweir@Penelopes and Milkbar@Sanctuary are Friday 4 December and Saturday 5 December respectively.:D

Yup, was a bit ahead of meself in the dates department; with any luck, Affinity Mk II will open on (Thursday) 26th November.

The amount of work that still needs doing to it would suggest otherwise.

I walked past this afternoon and from what I saw, it does not even have a roof yet!

Some good points made in your rant; the reality is that Sheffield's Gay Scene has struggled, but despite the knocking of some venues by many, it has nonetheless achieved a lot. What is really needed IS an identifiable 'Queer Quarter' with most bars/clubs a short walk from each other: I think it could still be possible around the Cultural Industries Quarter, not far from Dempseys.

The good news in the short term is that Sanctuary has a new night, 'Milkbar', starting next Saturday, and there is also a new monthly night, 'KW(e)ir', next Friday, at Penelope's, beside the Odeon and just across the road from the new Affinity.

Work on the new Affinity is nearing its completion, and from what I have heard, the latest is that it will be opening next weekend (4th/5th December) so there is plenty to look forward within the next 7 days. How well attended all these new things will be on the same weekend will have to stand the test of time; at least Sheffield doesen't have the same level of apathy as Rotherham has; the latest Gay night there, which I organised, has had to be put on hold after a successfullaunch last month because the venue we had has changed hands (surprise surprise), but come the new year, we've got great plans to get the scene really going there too for the local crowd!

See you all at Milkbar, Affinity AND Kw(e)ir this coming weekend!:hihi:

wasnt this tried in the late 90's in attercliffe around what use to be rockies - and this failed too

The amount of work that still needs doing to it would suggest otherwise.

I walked past this afternoon and from what I saw, it does not even have a roof yet!

Appearances can be deceptive; I know as a fact that major refitting work including structural modifications, has been going on for the past month or so; they have sorted the problems with the flooring, and from what I can make out, only final fitting work inside (and patching up and repainting the back) remain to be done; yes, the back does look shabby, with an old piece of chipboard covering the main exit, but from my own experience with working on refurbishment of old buildings, it is normally the external cosmetic work, including new signs, that are the last stage to be completed.

BTW, what Sheffsal says about trying to create a 'gay quarter' in Attercliffe is true; it will never work in Attercliffe nowadays, because the only reason why gay clubs historically tended to be located there was due to the fact that homosexuality was still struggling to be accepted in the mainstream world after being only legalised in 1967, so gay clubs in every town tended to be located in the cheapest, grottiest, often Red-Light districts. Remember, it was only fairly recently that discrimination against gays and lesbians was completely outlawed and they are now allowed in ANY pub/club, and also receive completely equal treatment from the police re. hate-crimes.:love:

Appearances can be deceptive; I know as a fact that major refitting work including structural modifications, has been going on for the past month or so; they have sorted the problems with the flooring, and from what I can make out, only final fitting work inside (and patching up and repainting the back) remain to be done; yes, the back does look shabby, with an old piece of chipboard covering the main exit, but from my own experience with working on refurbishment of old buildings, it is normally the external cosmetic work, including new signs, that are the last stage to be completed.

BTW, what Sheffsal says about trying to create a 'gay quarter' in Attercliffe is true; it will never work in Attercliffe nowadays, because the only reason why gay clubs historically tended to be located there was due to the fact that homosexuality was still struggling to be accepted in the mainstream world after being only legalised in 1967, so gay clubs in every town tended to be located in the cheapest, grottiest, often Red-Light districts. Remember, it was only fairly recently that discrimination against gays and lesbians was completely outlawed and they are now allowed in ANY pub/club, and also receive completely equal treatment from the police re. hate-crimes.:love:

So, after years of fighting to get equality, gays now want a "queer quarter" so you can segregate yourselves again :huh:

Archived