Mulberry Tavern now re-opened as Affinity

nickyjones8

Well I am not one to gossip ........................ so I wont :)

My initial thoughts is this pub is gonnna coast a fortune to decorate and restore, and if as one poster said they were struggling at Affinity, then were has the money come from to retore Mulberry Tavern. :suspect::suspect:

My initial thoughts is this pub is gonnna coast a fortune to decorate and restore, and if as one poster said they were struggling at Affinity, then were has the money come from to retore Mulberry Tavern. :suspect::suspect:

The venue needed a lot of work doing to it, and I know for a fact that the original owner of Affinity was looking to spend something ridiculous like £9,000 on the refurbishment, when it was apparently to most people that it needed a lot more money than that spending on it.

The move is not being financed by Affinity's old owner, he is indeed planning the refurbishment and will be running the venue, but he will not be the one financing it, he has a private backer supplying the funds.

At one point, this backer pulled out, however my understanding that he is now back on board and things are underway again.

The venue needed a lot of work doing to it, and I know for a fact that the original owner of Affinity was looking to spend something ridiculous like £9,000 on the refurbishment, when it was apparently to most people that it needed a lot more money than that spending on it..

£9k.....rolling on the floor laughing his head off at this point. 100k would be nearer the mark and just for BASIC stuff. I spent 50K refurbing a pub that was already trading, so one that has been shut and rotting for 10 years+ will need far more than that......some people have no idea at all do they!

£9k.....rolling on the floor laughing his head off at this point. 100k would be nearer the mark and just for BASIC stuff. I spent 50K refurbing a pub that was already trading, so one that has been shut and rotting for 10 years+ will need far more than that......some people have no idea at all do they!

Just to make clear for them, the inside had been already refurbished and it was a clean but empty shell.

It had new walls and plaster as well as floors, so it wasn't a complete ruin to start with.

As for the licence, was it ever de-licenced in the first place, or is there a chance the licence is still in place? I cant see anyone being so stupid as to try and open without one!

still does not have a premises licence though according to my contact at the Council.....it takes considerably longer than 3 weeks to get one of these!

Then maybe you need to get a new contact. The licence has been in place for at least eight weeks now.

merely stupid I guess.....to claim it is opening in 3 weeks without a premises licence is sheer insanity..my contact at the Council claims she has no knowledge of even an application for such a licence, let alone a date for the Licensing Board to meet to consider its merits..

See above.

hmmmm, they still need a premises licence to open to the public.......

See above and above.

I still think this is an elaborate wind up.........it has happened oft on this forum. Pubs that have been closed for 10 years simply NEVER open again....

Well this one is.

The venue needed a lot of work doing to it, and I know for a fact that the original owner of Affinity was looking to spend something ridiculous like £9,000 on the refurbishment

Try a figure around ten times that and you may be somewhere close. :)

The air-con system alone is £20k.

To summarise. This venue IS opening. Work IS underway and there IS a licence in place.

Opening date is scheduled to be November 27th (2009)

Now if the speculators can stop with their conjecture, that would be super.

well said!!!! i have been following this thread and it just seems that other local landlords one in particular is just jealous of a new bar opening near by.............its great to hear a new gay bar opening lets hope this one caters for gay people that are smart cool professionals not your usual spikey badger dyed hair types that most of the gay bars attract , please let it be more like bars in leeds n manc that play good music.......... a bit of indie...........a bit of proper house and stray away from euro trash that seems the norm for the sheffield gay scene.

At the moment it's gotta be so hard for anyone gay, especially women to pull someone if they look and dress straight cause it seems all the gay bars are populated by really young 'trying to hard' All Saints types.

Maybe the new Mulberry will bring the attractive ladies out of hiding away at leeds etc!!

Then maybe you need to get a new contact. The licence has been in place for at least eight weeks now.

See above.

See above and above.

Well this one is.

To summarise. This venue IS opening. Work IS underway and there IS a licence in place.

I was under the impression it was all going to be done on the cheap, so what you believe is true, this is good! had images of it being a bit of a shabby venue to start off with, although I have recently talked to someone who will be working at the venue when its complete, who has seen inside and he said a lot of new stuff had been bought.

The only other problem is that I know the owner and he doesn't have a great track record for working with other gay venues. Something that has been demonstrated to work well between Dempsy's, Lions Lair and Sanctuary. And the other night club style venue the owner was involved with (quarter) all ended in tears. Lets hope this one doesn't.

Archived