Mulberry Tavern now re-opened as Affinity

nickyjones8

Well if it does open, its a very brave thing to do in this climate at the moment, and especially daring in this part of town, where nothing new opens very regularly, and when it does, it tends to vanish as quickly as it appeared. The DNR Bar, Under the Boardwalk (various names) and the Circle Bar spring to mind for example....

But, on a positive note, anything that livens up this part of town is a good thing, and maybe can one again draw people away from the stagnant and cliche West Street circuit. Niche market bars especially welcome, as that is what the Dove and Rainbow is, rather than a mainstream sort of venue.

the pub itself isn't excluding people, but people will exclude themselves from the pub.

I 'exclude' myself from loads of pubs! We all do since not every pub can possibly be to everyones taste... If you aren't gay, and don't want to mix with gay friends in a gay venue, then please 'exclude' yourself, but not everyone will follow you... The likes of 'Walkabout' or Varsity' would have closed down years ago awaiting my custom - I hope that this venue thrives to show the gay populus of Sheffield and South Yorkshire that you DON'T have to catch a train to Manchester to drink in a classy bar...

I 'exclude' myself from loads of pubs! We all do since not every pub can possibly be to everyones taste... If you aren't gay, and don't want to mix with gay friends in a gay venue, then please 'exclude' yourself, but not everyone will follow you... The likes of 'Walkabout' or Varsity' would have closed down years ago awaiting my custom - I hope that this venue thrives to show the gay populus of Sheffield and South Yorkshire that you DON'T have to catch a train to Manchester to drink in a classy bar...

no, pubs aren't all to everybody's taste, but surely you agree more people will decide to exclude themselves from a gay bar than from walkabout or varsity? its very risky, i think declaring it a gay bar right from the start is a bad way of doing it - fine, allow it to open up to all and develop a reputation if it is embraced by the gay population of sheffield - but what if they don't like it? what happens then?

Apparently opens in 2 weeks I heard 26th Nov. Be good to know for sure but guess its not easy to give actual date till all the work is actually finished.

Looking forward to a new quality venue in Sheff - Good luck to them!

Well hello, new to the forum, and as the name suggests... I run Lions Lair with a mate of mine.

I am very happy that a new gay venue is opening, if anything it will make the scene stronger, and like it has been mentioned, will hopefully keep people in Sheffield rather than swanning off to Leeds etc. Since Fuel closed, Dempseys only competition has been Climax's once a month effort, so this will keep things interesting if nothing else!

Looking forward to the opening night anyways, we'll certainly be there to support it.

Cheers

Graham

Archived