Boohoo! Just failed my driving test!

isnt the test just to prove you are a capable driver not a experienced driver

most of the learning (good or bad) comes after the test

reverse parking had only just come in when i passed my test and it was something i wasnt comfortable with

when i returned to the test center i was told to park up and i reversed parked between 2 cars but not before being told by the examiner that it was my responsibility due to how close the vehicles where

surprisingly i did it perfect (either i do it perfect or i make a proper mess of it)

even now i can reverse park a transit size van than better than i can a car

Oh boy, now you have started something .... takes deep breath.

The DSA and instructors are guilty as charged.

We do not routinely prepare drivers with ALL the skills they need.

RevParking between two cars on the road;

Motorway driving;

all-weather, night-time, unfamiliar rural (if you live in a big city, clearly)

dual-carriageways (if you live in the "quiet countryside")

Driving with fully-loaded cars

the list is endless.

The DSA are currently reviewing L-testing and instruction so some things may change.

The pupils and parents also have a (negative?) role in this - they want to pass quickly and have no real interest in doing it properly if it costs. That takes more time and more money - witness the PATHETIC uptake level of PassPlus.

They know, 'cos everyone says it is so, that we "learn to drive" after we pass the test but are not prepared to learn any more from the professionals but choose to learn from our mistakes!

The changes the DSA will most likely make will not be about how to park on the High Street - they may even decide to let ADI's sign off pupil's ability to manoeuvre and stop testing mano's on test day. The changes will more than likely be about changing attitudes in the youth and fostering a move towards staged testing and ongoing driver training and development post-test.

Why? Well, too many youngsters end up having a crash in their first rash years of driving. The crash may end up in a rueful smile but can end up with a scarred 100-year-old tree or two and a bunch of flowers and, in truth, the outcome is determined lottery-style - crazy driving results in a bruise or two whilst quite ordinary iffiness on the road ends in death.

As for instructors, well I know far more than I did when I started because I have gone the extra mile and got more qualified, spent more money and gnashed a few more teeth than most. The DSA are pushing us all down a Continuous Professional Development route which a good number of ADI's are greeting with open arms. For a good few others, though, it may be a rude awakening.

It's good to hear that the DSA are reviewing things. I have my test in a month and part of me wants the test to be as easy as possible as I really need to drive but another part of me thinks it should be much harder. I've been involved in 4 accidents (none my fault) so am aware of how badly some people drive. I know I'm in the minority but I'd rather pay more for lessons and have more control over keeping myself alive on the road. I intend to do the PASSPLUS and continue to read about driving. I really like my instructor but I'm constantly saying 'Please teach me to get into a bay parking space forwards well' and 'Please teach me to park between two cars' and asking questions about things I've not been taught but will need to do when I'm driving alone. He doesn't seem to understand why I want to understand the theory behind driving (other than what he thinks I need to know) and all these extra things even though it costs more. My Dad is moving to Sheffield and needs to be shown the test routes etc so I'm grateful I'll be able to get onto the routes with him and get chance to ask these questions and learn to park between two cars etc. It's a shame learning is so expensive and people don't learn to drive properly. I obviously want to be able to drive so this is hypocritical but I wish the test was harder and less people were on the road, it would help with traffic, climate change and my nerves! I think progressive testing and ongoing tests might help. My instructor pointed out that part of the reason the test is easy (parallel parking with so much space for example) is that examiners have no idea how well you can drive when you have your test and have a duty of care not to let you crash. That makes sense but means too many people get through in my opinion.

Snip the interesting stuff

Cool, thanks for that, most enlightening.

I'm inclined to think multiple tests would be the best way forward. It might be impractical, but if you had to pass a 'basic' (2-length reverse park, other manos, basic local road and main road discipline) test and then doing a second programme focused on motorway driving and advanced techniques like single-slot reverse parking, overtaking, lane discipline and the like. Not cost or time efficient but it's the most foolproof idea I can come up with.

Learner test and DSA-Approved Driving Instructor !!

oh stop it!

Driving Standards Agency

:hihi:

I know DSA but don't have the imagination to work out the others I'm afraid. It's late and I'm tired and have a cold and headache. Thanks for humouring me.

• 1 month later...

Archived