Trying to trace an address, Cleveland Square

Hi Sara.

He is interred in Tinsley Park Cemetery.

Charles OXLEY aged 47 interred. 31st Dec 1949. Insurance Agent of 4 Cleveland Sq. Grave RA100g.p.

Alice OXLEY aged 66 interred 31st May 1967. Widow of 4 Don Terrace. Died Lodge Moor Hospital Grave RA100g.p.

Sheffield & District Family History Society have transcribed Tinsley Park, Attercliffe, Darnall and Revill Lane, they are available on CD.

You can access the message board at:

http://www.sheffieldfhs.org.uk

You will find a map of the cemetery here:

http://sheff-indexers.thewholeshebang.org/index.html

Look under links...then select cemeteries.

Regards

Tuppie

Tuppie - thank you! This is an absolutely fantastic result and has saved me so many hours. I was just arranging to visit Sheffield Archives to start the search. This is definately the right family.

Can I ask how it would be best to trace any family members ie brothers/sisters/children of Charles Oxley? I just don't know how to start!

I can't thank you enough for this.

Regards

Sara

Hi Sara.

You need to work backwards one generation at a time and proving as you go.

Do you know the names of any of the children of Charles and Alice OXLEY...?

If so then a copy of the birth certificate will give the fathers name and occupation and the mothers name...plus the important detail..her maiden name. This will enable you to find a marriage certificate for these two, which will list their fathers names and occupations. From their ages on the marriage certificate you should be able to get the correct birth certificates...and then hopefully be back to the 1901 census. You do this by using the General Register Office indexes available online as pay to view or at the archives.

Check out this site and use the "getting started" link.

http://sheff-indexers.thewholeshebang.org/index.html

If you are stuck post a message on one of the Genealogy message boards...there are always people who will help you.

Tuppie

http://www.sheffieldfhs.org.uk

• 2 years later...
Hi. I am currently working on tracing back our family tree, and have no knowledge of Sheffield at all.

I know that a Charles Oxley (the person I am trying to trace), died in Dec 1949 and was married to A Oxley. According to the records I have, they lived at 4 Cleveland Square, Sheffield which could have been in Attercliffe and he worked as an insurance agent.

On all maps I can trace a Cleveland St, but this is not in the North East part of the Borough but Cleveland Square does not seem to exist anywhere.

I am hoping there maybe someone out there who may know of the street and even if they knew of the Oxley family.

A huge request given that it was a long time ago, but I thought I would consult the forum for someone who may be able to help.

I am having the same problem trying to locate the whereabouts of Wigan Place in Carbrook or where roughly it would have.been I believe my grandparents lived there in the early 1900's and reared pigs on some land a

tuppie - thank you! This is an absolutely fantastic result and has saved me so many hours. I was just arranging to visit sheffield archives to start the search. This is definately the right family.

Can i ask how it would be best to trace any family members ie brothers/sisters/children of charles oxley? I just don't know how to start!

I can't thank you enough for this.

Regards

sara

sheffield forum at it's best :D

I have been trying to find out what happened to Wigan Place in Carbrook.My dad's family lived there in the 1900's and I think they kept pigs somewhere close by.

I would love to know more about the place and when it ceased to exist.

There's a strong possibility that the road you want was one of the roads that were wiped out, in the late 1960s and early/ mid 1970, when "slum" clearance "did-for" most of the streets in Brightside, Carbrook, Attercliffe and very many in Darnall.