Your experiences of job agencies

Is it true that they advertise high paid Jobs that are non-existent and say it gone but offer you one that is 15K less now that you happen to land on their door step?

What are your experience using Job agencies?

Good or Bad?

All job agencies are interested in is finding their commission. They get you in the door, pretend they have your interests at heart, but send you for inappropriate jobs, beef up the salary expectations etc, etc. I shouldn't really say this as I have several friends in the industry. But they make big enought bonuses (in excess of £30 K a year) to cope.

Although I did get my latest job through an agency and it's the best job I've ever had (through Hays).

Just moved back from Leeds and think the agenices there much better than Sheffield, but probably coz more opportunities in Leeds???

I agree with everything that has been said so far. I did my best to get jobs with agencies and never managed to get one, they advertise jobs you send your CV and they contact you and then you never hear from them again!!!!

I did manage to get a crappy job working for a bank through an agency (Kelly's) and left within 2 months as I managed to get a "proper" job through the newspaper . The company I worked for through the agency paid the agency a commission and if the worker leaves within 3 months the agency have to pay the commission back to the company. The agency ask you to sign a declaration that if you leave after 3 months its because you wanted to...even though this one did say that if you want to leave make sure its after 3 months because then they would not lose their commission.

Office Angels has to be the worst agency I've ever had to deal with though. The ladies there are very rude.

In my early twenties I had a job with an employment agency sending temps out working. The bonus you get tends to be about 2% of the salary of the person you place with a company if it's a permanent job. The agency charge the company about 12% of the total salary and yes, they have to refund the fee if the person leaves, although there is a sliding scale. However, newspaper advertising can often be as expensive and people can leave once you've advertised in there too. Agencies do a lot of the sifting for employers and present a shortlist of the people available. I would often advertise too in order to get people in the doors for that particular advert, with the promise to keep the unsuccessful ones on file should something else come along.

I was always honest with people. I'd never lie about the job description, I'd pass on to job seekers the description that the company gave me. If the company didn't give me the full spec then that was down to me not asking enough questions, or the company withholding information....which was rare.

Agencies make their money mostly through temps. They'll charge the company £10 per hour for a person, and then pay £6. 9% goes on NI that the employer pays and the rest pays agency costs - premises, temp controllers, overheads, etc.

Most of my day was spent doing telesales or interviewing people looking for work. I hated telesales which is why I left after two years. I loved helping people find work and their gratitude was what kept me going. It's a very very stressful job, you have to work to deadlines.

If you want to temp for an agency, it's best to phone them first thing on Mondays to tell them you are available. Usually by 10am they have vacancies - switchboard operator off sick, labourers needed for the week, etc. If your name is fresh in their head then they'll call you.

They don't charge you. They tell you the rate of pay and it's up to you if you want to accept the job or not. Your call. Those who are not offered work are either 'nutters' or don't have the skills needed for the jobs on the books.....no point in registering with a secretarial agency if you are an engineer, etc.

I'm happy to offer the agency's viewpoint based on my experience if anyone has any questions.

In the meantime, if you want to think anything through....come to the Classic Rock Bar on Ecclesall Rd for a pint!

Originally posted by Classic Rock

Those who are not offered work are either 'nutters' or don't have the skills needed for the jobs on the books.....no point in registering with a secretarial agency if you are an engineer, etc.

...so why do they waste your time by retaining your details when they have no intention of ever selecting you for any job?

Archived