Chinese Sky Lanterns/Strange lights in the sky megathread

Saffy

Is there anywhere in Sheffield where I can buy these? The ones you light outdoors and let them float off into the sky?

Hi

I put them into google and a site came on the first page. I got 4 for £7.50 and free postage. I cant remember the name of the site.

I used to love these lanterns....untill i was talking to my hay supplier who told me that the wire frame gets caught in the bailer and the wire goes into bails etc....it would be terrible if a horse or any other animal ate these wires. Since i heard this i no longer send them off and dont encorage them either. I also check every bit of the bail before giving it my horse too....

In the 90s and at the start of the new century, the lovely airmen at ...I think it was Elgin air force base in Florida used to set loads of these Chinese lanterns off and then sit back to snigger at all the UFO people who stood at Gulf Breeze taking pics and gibbering in terror and amazement.

Just a few lanterns each week was more than enough to start an entire sub-culture of Ufology and made the place pretty famous in ufo circles.

Yeah I know thats got bugger all to do with lights over Sheffield but I just wanted to show how annoyingly full of pointless knowledge I am!

• 3 weeks later...