Cricket's Ian Nunnington dies

CHAIRBOY

Sorry to read in the Star that one of the city's cricketing stalwarts, Ian Nunnington, died on Mon 22 Oct at the age of 79.

Much of Ian's sporting life was devoted to cricket and he will be remembered, not only for playing, but for coaching many young enthusiasts in the city from his days with Sheffield United C.C. - going well back into the club's life at Bramall Lane.

Ian's funeral is next Monday, 29th at Hutcliffe Wood crem, 3.30pm.

• 10 months later...

I live in Canada and have since 1968. Would Mr Nunnington be any relation to Dorothy, Bill, Brian Nunnington as they were avid cricket players along with my father Albert Ward many years ago with the Zingari Cricket Club. Also Michael and Andrew Nunnington, sons of Dorothy and Bill were avid players, sad to say they both passed away at an early age. Jan Softly ( Janet Ward)

Sorry Jan but I am unable to answer your questions although it doesn't mean to say nobody else can't. I think Ian had moved to the private flats by the Bole Hills when he died and believe at one time, he lived at Nether Green.

I mentioned Sheffield United CC but he also played at Hallam at one time and more than likely coached there. I'm not sure about his family but just knew him from his services to cricket. He had much to offer younger players and was a super chap as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ian Nunnington was a very good guy, I remember him as secretary of the Sheffield & District Cricket Association in the early 1970s. He was a good servant to local cricket, much in the same way as people (also no longer with us) like Charlie Scholey, Ivan Priestley, Ben Jessop, Bill Childs, etc. Someone should start a list of great local cricket stalwarts down the years!

Ian Nunnington was a very good guy, I remember him as secretary of the Sheffield & District Cricket Association in the early 1970s. He was a good servant to local cricket, much in the same way as people (also no longer with us) like Charlie Scholey, Ivan Priestley, Ben Jessop, Bill Childs, etc. Someone should start a list of great local cricket stalwarts down the years!

The people you mention may be hard acts to follow! I remember Ron Rayner and Jack Schofield from Sheffield Boys (60's) and subsequently Jack Bethel and Eric Burgin who both knew Ian well. In a lesser league, I remember the late Arnold Bradshaw also making a telling contribution with his great enthusiasm for cricket and taking a tour to Hampshire, comprising players from Crookes and Treeton - which reminds me of a coach at Treeton called McDonald whom I fondly recall as "Mac".

• 1 month later...
The people you mention may be hard acts to follow! I remember Ron Rayner and Jack Schofield from Sheffield Boys (60's) and subsequently Jack Bethel and Eric Burgin who both knew Ian well. In a lesser league, I remember the late Arnold Bradshaw also making a telling contribution with his great enthusiasm for cricket and taking a tour to Hampshire, comprising players from Crookes and Treeton - which reminds me of a coach at Treeton called McDonald whom I fondly recall as "Mac".

Dennis McDonald .... he is still about, I believe, and active with the Junior League. That tour to Portsmouth & Southsea does bring back some memories of being dragged around by my parents! My mum still has some pictures of the players who went in late 60's/early 70's.

Archived