Cricket's Ian Nunnington dies

CHAIRBOY

I think John Moore is still around, living somewhere in the Walkley Lane area. I saw Trevor Cottam last summer --he's an umpire in the Yorkshire League nowadays. David Shutt is still very much involved at Sheffield United, and the Shutt tradition is being maintained on the field by his grandsons now!

I remember Barry Gott, and the other names you mention are very familiar.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/yorkshires-outstanding-volunteers-earn-awards,15202,EN.html

I unearthed the above site after Googling - "Frank Richardson" whom I knew from his umpiring Yorkshire League games. Although 2007 site, I was delighted to see Frank is going strong at 91yo. Norman Croft is another name who served the game well, father of Bill.

It looks a relevant site to what you were asking for, the naming of unsung heroes around the county?

I have just had a glance at that site, and note that quite a few of the people we have mentioned have been honoured. Funny thing is, though, I have not seen a line about all this in The Star. What a pity the old Morning Telegraph no longer exists, for it had a very good League cricket feature in the summer and they kept abreast of the local cricket events during the winter, too. Mind you, in referring to The Star, one wonders whether the info was sent to the paper.

Earlier, incidentally, you mentioned Dick Williamson. Dick was a rare character, and I knew him fairly well. He used to say that his telegraphic address was "Evil, Bradford"!

He used to love to tease newcomers to the Press Box (especially those who knew little of cricket) by commenting aloud that the batsman had just scored three --"all run"!

Williamson's "three --all run" line caught out one young journalist, who knew nothing of the game, and the poor lad dictated the words into his copy --and it duly appeared in the paper! Great mirth at Williamson's end of the box!

Yes, Norman Croft was a great lad. One of the group that were very close to George Pope in his Sheffield United days.

Still nobody joining me on my occasional excursions into sheffield history! Come on, Chairboy, gives us a bit o' support!

Williamson's "three --all run" line caught out one young journalist, who knew nothing of the game, and the poor lad dictated the words into his copy --and it duly appeared in the paper! Great mirth at Williamson's end of the box!

Yes, Norman Croft was a great lad. One of the group that were very close to George Pope in his Sheffield United days.

Still nobody joining me on my occasional excursions into sheffield history! Come on, Chairboy, gives us a bit o' support!

I think I've provided more than a few prompts!

I tell of one occasion when George Pope took me to one side in the nets behind the Spion Kop. It's a pity younger players won't be reading this as it made sound sense. I had got well past holding the index finger down by the splice but George was keeping a beady eye on my hands.

He told me to contemplate holding an axe and immediately I said my hands would be together. "Then that's what you need with the bat handle, hands together", he replied. That advice must have been mid-60s and I've never forgotten it.

I've been out of the game now for 25 years but it wasn't confined to Sheffield when I played. I recall playing for a team called "Saints". The side was captained by Yorkshire's Bob Platt. I didn't bat or bowl that day but found it a fascinating education.

Don't mention George Pope's coaching please. As a 13/14 year old, I could really turn my off-break and then, one evening at the Bramall Lane nets, George told me I was holding the ball wrong and got me to change my action. I religiously stuck to his advice and could never spin the ball as much again. I also remember my first game for United 2nds, at Cortonwood, when George put me and a fellow 16 year old in at VERY short leg when he opened the bowling. He was bowling big in-swingers and the ball kept flying off the inside edge past me and my mate. His language towards us was atrocious and hardly helped us enjoy the experience or want to be selected again. I do remember Alan Hodgkinson (The Sheff United goalkeeper and very good cricketer) taking us on one side at the tea interval and apologising for George's behaviour and saying that none of the older players would field at short leg, because they knew what would happen if the missed a chance of a catch.

George also had a way with umpires, almost getting them to say "yes, Mister Pope" and kidding them on until they felt they owed him a few decisions!

Farmer have you looked at the cricket under sport on sheff history? I can't get Chairboy to contribute, but you might!

I used to be on the Yorkshire & Derbyshire League committee with Andy Nunnington, Zingari CC, who sadly passed away well before his time. I also used to be YDCL Publicity Officer and yes it is indeed very difficult to get coverage in The Star. Green Un, Telegraph & especially Derbyshire Times are still quite obliging however. Most cricket reporting is done on t'internet these days through the ECB's 'play-cricket' network, every club in the country being entitled to its own website.

If you put it on a plate for them --that is, write the piece yourself-- you often have a better chance of getting news items in most local papers. And they like it best if it's written and e-mailed, then they can, if they wish, put it straight into the page without any real work on their part! If you want something in The Star as opposed to the Green Un, send it to The Star; but bear in mind that, if space is short and they think your piece is more appropriate to the Green Un, they may pass it to the Green Un. Les Payne is a Star man worth approaching. He supports Rotherham, but he's not a bad guy!

It is local radio that is a bind when it comes to local cricket coverage. The young guys running the sports coverage are very fond of football, and, in particular, they love pandering to the managers and players of United and Wednesday. I fear that they don't have any real interest in cricket, and, unlike in the old days, they don't have anybody on their staff who is involved with, or has any feeling for, cricket at club level. They don't realise just how many people would listen in if they had a programme or programmes devoted to local cricket. What it needs is a campaign (lots and lots of letters, including some to the local newspapers, and phone calls!) supported by a group of officials representing a variety of local leagues, and, if necessary, someone involved in local cricket who is prepared to "front" a cricket programme or help arrange coverage, etc. If you keep pestering them (a guy called Seth seems to be the top lad), they might eventually take notice, but don't hold your breath!

Farmer have you looked at the cricket under sport on sheff history? I can't get Chairboy to contribute, but you might!

Sorry, nothing personal but have told myself not to get involved with the sporting forum pages, one of a few reasons is giving leads. As the thread moves on, I get very annoyed by media outlets telling us:"Send us your stories, send us your pictures", BUT don't expect any pay! Not so long ago YTV paid £11 per story; one of mine received 1' 42" footage. I think the attitude now is we use 'our own' staff and what we don't get, we don't get. We'll make do with PA! The times I've heard that.

More cricket names have passed through my mind but those not mentioned, don't feel affronted, I haven't been everywhere! Bradfield CC and the name synonymous there was Elliott (was it George or Frank or has my mind gone?)

I recall Frank Herbert and his sterling work in Stocksbridge with cricket. There were the Atters at Shiregreen but some in Sheffield will remember one of my late dad's old buddy, Alan Otter, who as well as being a demon underarm bowler in Hillsborough Park, organised and played his cricket at Little Matlock.

I mentioned the SWFC influence at Shiregreen and I forgot to mention Jackie Thompson. Jackie roomed with my dad on club away trips during the war-time matches. His son, Brian, also played at Shiregreen.

Archived