East Ocean Cafe

jdgraham83

Just thought id recommend this place to everyone. Ate there last night with my girlfriend and had the best thai curry ive ever had. Pretty reasonable too, two mains and a bottle of wine came to £25. Nice smiley staff too which always helps. Only thing letting it down was the chavs queing outside plug wearing builders jackets and waving glow sticks around, think there must have been some terrible speed garage nonsense on.

• 1 year later...

Went there Christmas Eve for the first time. Very very impressed. Only had miso soup, then various sushi so can't comment on the rice/set meals etc. The sushi was great.

I've been to Wasabisabi and sakushi on various occasions, and found East Ocean to easily be on a par with both of those (which I also recommend).

My "other half" used to work just round the corner, and I always used to notice how many chinese/japanese used to eat in there. No idea if that would mean it's posibly more authentic, but always tends to give me that impression.

Do you need to book or can you just turn up?

What's the parking like?

i've never known the place to be full to the point where patrons are turned away, and i don't believe it takes bookings.

parking is hit-and-miss per usual city parking confines. there's a new NCP car park (huge thing on Arundel St) in worst case.

i would concur with other posters re quality and portion sizes. their set menus are also value for money, unlike a lot of other places.

personally, i go there for my "salted fish chicken pieces fried rice" (literal translation) and "scrambled egg with king prawn and XO sauce".

I possibly (well, definitely) ordered too much when I was there. I ended up taking some home with me in a container they provided. We still spent less than when we go to wasabisabi.

As for parking, there are two new car parks close by, and the restaurant is actually under the NCP building, so you can't get much nearer to a parking spot. There is also on road parking all around the place, which is fairly empty after working/shopping hours.

• 5 weeks later...

is east ocean cafe that good? i rave on about sakushi on sf but i havnt tried East ocean yet. I just dont like where it is i think? I also dont like mixed cusine restaurants, chinese, tie and japanese are so different. You dont get German, english and french quisine in one restaurant do you? and if you do its probably doesnt promote it.

Will try it next week, i think its linked with yama sushi bar so i expect it to be similar.

Archived