Why are there no good rock nights any more?

carbon

why oh why are there no good rock nights in sheffield anymore?

corporation used to be ace, until it moved and turned into a nursery school,

does anyone know of ANYWHERE that nearly measures up to the old corp(when it was on bank street)

please help!

Carbon

I have to disagree about the Casbah. When It was the wap in the old days it was tremendous. When it reopened as the Casbah at first it was ok. But now they don't play rock music any more.

Was in last saturday (sorry sat before last) and went down stairs and it was all depeche mode.

Looks like rock sounds like 80s pop night retrospective.

Upstairs bar was ok for a while they played stuff like smiths and harder indie stuff. Not heavy rock though.

Go to Nelson for a proper rock night. Classic rock downstairs and Nu rock upstairs.

I think Bedroom do a rock night on Mondays. Threads on it here and here.

Also, let's not forget the Classic Rock Bar on Eccy Rd, across from Waitrose. Thread on directions/location is here...and Decembers line-up is here.

Open everyday, live bands most nights of the week, cheap drinks.

Have a word with the forums very own Classic Rock, she's the landlady of the CRB.. She'll be able to fill you in better than me.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

GazB

There are no good rock nights as the clubs would rather fill them with loads of young kids with mummy and daddies pocket money and play crap music. I admit I went to corp at bank street when I was young but didn't always get let in (when I did they were the best nights out I had), now they let anyone there so they can get the money in rather can keep the regular punters happy as well.

Well said Jake,

I think some people want rock music to stay as it was when they were 18. It's a selfish and futile argument. Us older rockers have just got to let go of the baton and let the younger ones take over in the most popular venues.

When I was 19-24 I was in Rebels 1ce or 2ce a week. If I was that age now I'd probably be in the Corporation 1ce or 2ce a week, listening to the up to date stuff. But you can't expect that the Corporation club would survive on a smattering of early middle aged rockers who only have the energy to go down once a year.

Archived