Any one know the seven hills

lee1112

I wouldn't say it's a myth at such, but it would be damn near impossible to judge which seven hills were considered part of the city when the idea arose without more research.

The earliest reference I've come across is from around 1920ish, in a local newspaper. The earliest widely-published reference to it was Orwell's in 1936.

It was either widely accepted that Sheffield was indeed built on seven hills, or it had becoming a running joke/throwaway comment: 'just like Rome'.

I think it was probably the former originally, if it was in widespread usage, which it seems to have been, and perhaps then become the latter. Of course it's not applicable now (and you would have endless arguments about which are being alluded to - the historical research just isn't conclusive), but the pattern of urban development/spread as the city grew in the C19th would have meant that at some point it would have been feasible to describe the city as being on seven of the hills marked here:

http://mdfs.net/Docs/Sheffield/Hills/

Archived