Aroma Restaurant - your opinions...

foodcritic

Well, well, well...

Because I make the comment that "plush" is not something normally associated with London Road it provokes some venomous responses. I think that's amazing, because the majority of restaurants on London Road are pretty shabby run-down sort of places. I mean, there are dozens, nay hundreds of them. Go on, disagree with me, tell me that I'm wrong and that London Road is some sort of champs elysee which has stylish and "plush" restaurants? You have got to be kidding! Or maybe you've never been out of Sheffield?

I like Wasabisabi - been there twice in the past month in fact - I love the atmosphere and I thought the food was good. Not the best tepanyaki I've had but really, very nice and no complaints. Rossi's -mmm! take it or leave it - impressive building though, the old TSB bank if I remember correctly. Ban Thai - used to be the old S&E co-op. Another nice building but not really "plush" is it? Last time I went there I ordered sea bass or something at "market price". When it came it looked more like a stickleback - it was tiny! They wanted 16 quid for it an 'all! I sent the miserable tiddler back.

I'm really sorry I keep hurting your feelings by stating the truth, that there aren't many restaurants on London Road that could be called "plush". But it's true.

London Road has variety for sure - the best street in the city for this. But you don't expect glamorous surroundings or top quality food.

I understand Aroma is unusual in this respect and all I was expecting was a few reviews from folks who'd been there - not to be attacked for stating the facts.

Ah well...

Dippydore, you obviously do not know anything about Sheffield as most of your posts contain incorrect accounts and closed minded opinions, what I would like to know is: do you actually live/ know anything about Sheffield?

TBH the 'dippy' bit of your username is, IMO, correct, however what does the 'dore' stand for? Please do not insult me by stating you live in Dore and this is the mindset etc....

Yes I do live in Sheffield and know quite a bit about it.

What's your problem? Don't you like hearing the truth?

As for living in Dore, I never said that, although I may have implied it. But what if I do? Do you hate me even more? And what if I don't? Do you forgive me?

Please supply me with evidence of your claim that I make "incorrect accounts" of Sheffield. I'd be fascinated!

You are welcome to test me on Sheffield by the way. Go ahead!

Yes I do live in Sheffield and know quite a bit about it.

What's your problem? Don't you like hearing the truth?

As for living in Dore, I never said that, although I may have implied it. But what if I do? Do you hate me even more? And what if I don't? Do you forgive me?

Please supply me with evidence of your claim that I make "incorrect accounts" of Sheffield. I'd be fascinated!

You are welcome to test me on Sheffield by the way. Go ahead!

You get her told Dippy!

Dippy incorrect account No1

Bhan Thai was I think Yorkshire Bank, definitely not S&E Co-op So be fascinated.

The Co-op was next door, where the supermarket is now, or maybe where its car park is.

I'd hate to face you in a court of law with me as the defendant and you as the judge...

"I find DippyDore guilty on account that I think he was seen on the night, or was it day, of the incident in the car park, or maybe next door to the car park, where the offence took place".

It did used to be a bank by the way, that much is correct. But I recall it was the S&E co-op before that. I'm going back a good number of years, 30 or more, maybe someone else can confirm?

Not wanting to go off topic but.....I'm sure the bank was always a bank before closing (wasn't it Robert Brady's for a while). My recollection from many years ago is that the S&E frontage started after the bank and was demolished for the redevelopment of the bottom of Ecclesall Road.

Archived