Aroma Restaurant - your opinions...

foodcritic

Well, well, well...

Because I make the comment that "plush" is not something normally associated with London Road it provokes some venomous responses. I think that's amazing, because the majority of restaurants on London Road are pretty shabby run-down sort of places. I mean, there are dozens, nay hundreds of them. Go on, disagree with me, tell me that I'm wrong and that London Road is some sort of champs elysee which has stylish and "plush" restaurants? You have got to be kidding! Or maybe you've never been out of Sheffield?

I like Wasabisabi - been there twice in the past month in fact - I love the atmosphere and I thought the food was good. Not the best tepanyaki I've had but really, very nice and no complaints. Rossi's -mmm! take it or leave it - impressive building though, the old TSB bank if I remember correctly. Ban Thai - used to be the old S&E co-op. Another nice building but not really "plush" is it? Last time I went there I ordered sea bass or something at "market price". When it came it looked more like a stickleback - it was tiny! They wanted 16 quid for it an 'all! I sent the miserable tiddler back.

I'm really sorry I keep hurting your feelings by stating the truth, that there aren't many restaurants on London Road that could be called "plush". But it's true.

London Road has variety for sure - the best street in the city for this. But you don't expect glamorous surroundings or top quality food.

I understand Aroma is unusual in this respect and all I was expecting was a few reviews from folks who'd been there - not to be attacked for stating the facts.

Ah well...

my bold - no there arent. i doubt there are even "hundreds" of restaurants on london road, shabby or otherwise

No I really enjoyed it - I thought the food was fab. I wouldn't say it was a true Indian but then most "Indian" restaurants are managed by people from Kashmir which is a different country. So its just as the modern Chinese and Japanese food is called fusion perhaps this is a different type of Asian Fusion.

What does that matter, the food was excellent maybe it was quite expensive but if I want a cheap Indian, I can rustle that up myself. I go out to experience new and different things.

Did not get the lack of licence since they had a bar area. You dont sit in a fancy bar and sip cola in my opinion.

The food and decor were top notch. Even the toilets were good but the place was so empty. Does somebody know something I don't?

They were not licenced which surprised me but they did not charge corkage.

Traditionally if a restaurant is not licenced they should not charge corkage. Only when you take your own wine into a restaurant that already sells wine, where they are losing profit, they are entitled to charge.

• 2 months later...

This place is now applying for a licence, and i was allowed to take beer in (used to be only wine).

I went last night. The service was good, but i wouldnt go back for the food, which was ok but not great. It was tasty (although way too oily- i like a bit of sauce with my oil)- until i chomped up a whole cardamon pod, then an unidentifyable seed pod that tasted like i'd just taken a swig of Vix vaporub. I also thought i'd lost a tooth but that turned out to be another black pop corn kernel type seed. It shows they use the real deal ingredients i suppose.. but kills the old palate! Maybe a bit too authentic for my liking..

We went tonight with another couple. And everyone enjoyed their meals. I have the chicken tikka masala, which was lovely had a nice corriander taste to it which i loved. The place was very clean-toliets spotless also, which i always feel is a big must in a restaurant.

They service was good, waiter not mega chatty, we asked for advice on a meal, he just seemed a little shy-but he was polite and order was correct.

I actually prefered that you can bring your own wine, you can choose what you would normally drink and also keeps costs down a little. We also took our own beer, i asked on the phone when booking and they were happy for us to do so.

• 6 months later...

A group of us recently went to aroma restaurant and ordered lots of different meals. The starters and Naan breads were very good, but took a long time to arrive despite the restaurant being particularly quiet. I ordered a vegetable dish which the waiter advised me could not be altered in any way as the food was pre-prepared (!), despite the menu saying meals could be altered according to personal taste. My " pre-prepared mixed veg curry" had the appearance of defrosted vegetables that normally go with a sunday roast with a bit of cheap store-bought curry sauce on it. It was slightly spicy but not very tasty. There weren't even any onions in it, which are meant to add flavour to food.

With few exceptions, sheffield does not appear to have the same curry standards as Bradford or Manchester (Rusholme) as I regularly experienced from living there. Momtaz on chesterfield Road is great, the service is friendly and they happily altered a curry on the menu for me slightly, making it absolutely delicious!! The food quality is comparable to those places in Bradford.

We have some great pubs though here in Sheffield!!!

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd add to this as I have been avoiding the place since it opened, purely on the outside asthetics.

It's buy one, get one free some week nights at the moment so we gave it a try.

I thought the food was good, there was four of us and we have a good feed for £16 each. I don't think I would've been as impressed if I was paying full price though.

Service was excellent and they must have a licence now as we had beers too!

My advice is try it while the offers on :thumbsup:

Archived