Platillo's Restaurant Review

foodcritic

The new tapas restaurant from the people at the highly successful people at the Wig & Pen. The restaurant should be an absolute winner as they’ve always been busy at their Campo Lane outfit – a testament really with the recent closure of the much lauded boho located adjacent to the Wig & Pen.

Platillo’s means small plates in Spanish but looking at the menu it seems to have a more world wide approach with dishes having morrocan or greek vibes to them. Not such a bad thing I suppose. There is no doubt the ambience is fantastic, and amidst a sea of chains hoorah for a local Sheffield restaurant ‘playing with the big boys’.

We started off far from perfect. The carbonated drinks ordered were flat, mistakes happen. After bringing it to the attention of the staff they were promptly swapped for a more expensive bottled version but they didn’t pick up the difference – I did. Ok then. The bottled beverage was delicious though – one of these boutique efforts where farmer Giles made it using organic lemons just 10 mins down the road blah blah blah, tasty though.

Hummus to start, 2 types, one I believe had some black olive tapenade (not really a tapenade as there was no capers etc) and one plain. It came with some focaccia bread which is stored in a large bread basket on show to customers – part of the ‘food theatre’ so many restaurants crave I’m sure. This could have been a lot better, the hummus had been refrigerated and after penetrating the top layer with the somewhat stale bread, one could see a colour difference. This is possibly because the food has oxidised a touch because of it’s lack of freshness. I know now I leave myself open to a barrage of comments from people saying the practicalities of running a restaurant mean you have to endure such things – how to Thyme Café manage it then with their delightful cumin spiked hummus.

Anyway on to the Tapas. The origination of Tapas is somewhat dubious, briefly a lot of people believe in old Spain, Inn keepers used to put slices of bread over the customers beers to stop flies getting in. The punters appreciated this snack and then Inn keepers tried to out do each other by producing more and more elaborate tapa.

The tempura prawns with aioli were very good, a proper tempura batter – light and crispy with a multitude of layers. The courgette flower I think was mainly made up of the female form (being smaller and more readily available) than the male (larger and grows on the stalk). The batter was not a patch on the tempura – this time being guilty of limp and generally lack lustre all round. The meatballs were good but not knock out stuff. What was knock-out stuff was a sort of sea food broth with white beans – quite delicious. King prawn skewer with lemongrass was uninspiring. The lemongrass barely visible bar the mentioning on the menu, the palette certainly couldn’t pick it up, maybe my radar was off that day. The grilled red mullet was nice – a clean dish with the fishy taste coming through, cheap if I recall but I would order two portions because the they’re good and there’s not enough of it. The potatoes were fine and as were the salad’s.

For dessert we opted for Churro’s. A traditional Spanish / South American dessert. The first time we had it was delightful, the batter crispy on the outside and inside hot and gooey, like a perfect soufflé texture. The second time it was chewy, not sure why. The chocolate dipping sauce was nice but you could tell it wasn’t Valrhona chocolate.

Nice place but strangely I prefer the food at the Wig & Pen. The décor is first class and I’m sure in no time the bar downstairs will be full of upwardly mobile twenty something’s.

Food 6/10

Service 6/10

Ambience 8.5/10

Total 20.5/10

The new tapas restaurant from the people at the highly successful people at the Wig & Pen. The restaurant should be an absolute winner as they’ve always been busy at their Campo Lane outfit – a testament really with the recent closure of the much lauded boho located adjacent to the Wig & Pen.

Platillo’s means small plates in Spanish but looking at the menu it seems to have a more world wide approach with dishes having morrocan or greek vibes to them. Not such a bad thing I suppose. There is no doubt the ambience is fantastic, and amidst a sea of chains hoorah for a local Sheffield restaurant ‘playing with the big boys’.

We started off far from perfect. The carbonated drinks ordered were flat, mistakes happen. After bringing it to the attention of the staff they were promptly swapped for a more expensive bottled version but they didn’t pick up the difference – I did. Ok then. The bottled beverage was delicious though – one of these boutique efforts where farmer Giles made it using organic lemons just 10 mins down the road blah blah blah, tasty though.

Hummus to start, 2 types, one I believe had some black olive tapenade (not really a tapenade as there was no capers etc) and one plain. It came with some focaccia bread which is stored in a large bread basket on show to customers – part of the ‘food theatre’ so many restaurants crave I’m sure. This could have been a lot better, the hummus had been refrigerated and after penetrating the top layer with the somewhat stale bread, one could see a colour difference. This is possibly because the food has oxidised a touch because of it’s lack of freshness. I know now I leave myself open to a barrage of comments from people saying the practicalities of running a restaurant mean you have to endure such things – how to Thyme Café manage it then with their delightful cumin spiked hummus.

Anyway on to the Tapas. The origination of Tapas is somewhat dubious, briefly a lot of people believe in old Spain, Inn keepers used to put slices of bread over the customers beers to stop flies getting in. The punters appreciated this snack and then Inn keepers tried to out do each other by producing more and more elaborate tapa.

The tempura prawns with aioli were very good, a proper tempura batter – light and crispy with a multitude of layers. The courgette flower I think was mainly made up of the female form (being smaller and more readily available) than the male (larger and grows on the stalk). The batter was not a patch on the tempura – this time being guilty of limp and generally lack lustre all round. The meatballs were good but not knock out stuff. What was knock-out stuff was a sort of sea food broth with white beans – quite delicious. King prawn skewer with lemongrass was uninspiring. The lemongrass barely visible bar the mentioning on the menu, the palette certainly couldn’t pick it up, maybe my radar was off that day. The grilled red mullet was nice – a clean dish with the fishy taste coming through, cheap if I recall but I would order two portions because the they’re good and there’s not enough of it. The potatoes were fine and as were the salad’s.

For dessert we opted for Churro’s. A traditional Spanish / South American dessert. The first time we had it was delightful, the batter crispy on the outside and inside hot and gooey, like a perfect soufflé texture. The second time it was chewy, not sure why. The chocolate dipping sauce was nice but you could tell it wasn’t Valrhona chocolate.

Nice place but strangely I prefer the food at the Wig & Pen. The décor is first class and I’m sure in no time the bar downstairs will be full of upwardly mobile twenty something’s.

Food 6/10

Service 6/10

Ambience 8.5/10

Total 20.5/10

20.5 out of 10? Now that is one hell of a restaurant!

seriously though, I shall look forward to trying it out.

Having been to Platillos twice now, i have to agree with the above.

Not as good as the Wig n Pen fo'sure....plus i find the potions just a wee bit too stingy, and i absolutely adore tapas portions normally.

Bar staff are v.good, the floor staff ok.

Ambience great, prices too steep for the portion sizes, too much of the food bland.

Food 6/10

Service 6/10

Ambience 8.5/10

Total 20.5/10

Thats a superbly written review

Thats a superbly written review

Ah Thanks! It makes it all worth it. Coming soon

Café Uno

Fellicini

La Vina

Piccalino’s

Mamma’s and Leoni’s

Rafters

Thyme Café

Artisan

Catch

Pappa Ciciio’s

The Walnut Club

Noodle Inn

Zeugma

Dim Sum

Eylens Meeting Room

Noodle King

Ashoka

Ambar

Ayeshas

A number of sunday country pubs

Hye,

I went here for the first time recently, and what you have written pretty much sums up how I felt - though probably in a much better literary style!

I would eat there again, but I have had better tapas (in Sheffield at Las Iguanas), and am planning on checking out more local places before heading back.

Ah Thanks! It makes it all worth it. Coming soon

Café Uno

Fellicini

La Vina

Piccalino’s

Mamma’s and Leoni’s

Rafters

Thyme Café

Artisan

Catch

Pappa Ciciio’s

The Walnut Club