Platillo's Restaurant Review

foodcritic

Another great review from foodcritic.

We spent a happy Monday afternoon in Platillo's recently which we expected to be a bit quiet. Initially we weren't too excited at going upstairs into what we thought would be an empty restaurant on a traditionally quiet day. So we were delighted to be in a 2/3rds full restaurant, buzzing with activity and a few people that we knew. The food was fabulous, the wine a knockout and the bill not as large as we were told to expect!

Definitely one to go back to for those long lazy (and eventually quite hazy) afternoons.

We went a few weeks ago and really enjoyed most of the food, although there were some platillos which need improvement.

I agree with you about the hummus, it was very cold on top and had no flavour. Had the hummus in Thyme this weekend and it really stood out in terms of texture and flavour.

I am going back to Platillos very soon, hope I enjoy it.

For all interested in Spanish tapas

Went over to a Spanish wedding in September and experienced a delicious new (to us) Spanish tapa.....

dates wrapped in bacon (stones taken out)

like bacon rolls wrapped around sausage that we serve here but wrapped around a date.

May sound like a strange combination but worked very well and was very tasty (if you like dates that is, which we do!).

Might be a change from the usual 'pigs in blankets' for Christmas Day. :)

Went back to Platillos for the second time, having had a great lunch there. Went with a couple of friends and we were looking forward to it, although a little apprehensive after a couple of poor reviews.

I am a great fan of the Wig and Pen and often sing its praises on the Forum; I have also written positively about Platillos. What follows is not very positive. We tried to complain at the restaurant at the time, but the waiter did nothing really. He told the chef our complaints and the chef did not come to see us. When we asked to speak to somebody about it, we filled in cards (three of them) with our complaints. I have heard nothing back, so I have to resort to expressing my frustration on the forum.

I hope someone on here knows the owners and will take this back to them. What happened should not happen again; it would never have happened at the Wig and Pen.

The bar area looked warm, lively and welcoming; it seemed a shame to go upstairs.

It was busy upstairs, with a nice buzz. The decor, table space and atmosphere are great and the lighting is just right.

The staff were too quick to arrive to order drinks, we hadn't even looked at the menu. This hastiness happened throughout the meal; when you go to a restaurant you don't want to be constantly bothered by staff and you certainly need time to review and discuss the menu. I think training is really needed here.

The menu has a range of options - hot (apparently) and cold, as well as meat, fish (when not sold out) and vegetarian.

I had a feeling things were not going to go well when my first choice fritto de mare was sold out. Not good with only a few seafood dishes. But everything else was available. I was very surprised that there were no 'specials' to add a bit of seasonality and locality to the menu and a little bit of choice.

Noting that the hummus was not good, I wisely avoided this choice. We ordered a good range of vegetarian, meat and fish dishes. They arrived at different times, which is great to allow you to savour other dishes. However, when the platillos arrived this is generally what we were served - PLATILLOSILLOS. Very, very small plates, which were at times almost in breach of trade descriptions.

The seasoned, grilled red mullet filletS was in fact one small piece of fish (about £4.50); not plural fillets. When this was ordered last month there were definitely two. It arrived served on top of a salad and was barely warm. We raised this with the waiter (who had a poor understanding of English) and did not understand about 'plurals' and said it was cold because of the salad. Not good enough. The grilled fish was oily due to it being fried and was cold. Unpleasant.

The sardines turned out to be one small sardine fillet (4ish) which was barely warm and oily. It was tasty but cold. Again we raised this with the waiter. The last time it had two fish. I had eaten sardines as a starter in Thyme cafe last week and had five for £6.

The other things were okay but not necessarily all warm. The king prawns on a skewer; the king prawns with dipping sauce, haloumi cheese on a skewer; the sweetcorn fritter, a meat dish.

The aubergine was spectacular, with a warm red spicy tomato sauce. This again was the tastiest dish. The potatoes were warm too, but a very small portion.

The most disappointing dish was the merquez (I think - some type of spicy sausage) with white beans. The meat eater assured me the sausage was good, but the beans were dreadful. The sat in deep bed of oil and were barely luke warm. Completely inedible.

The white Rioja was good value and quite tasty.

We were going to have a dessert but after our experience with the food decided against further risk.

This restaurant has so much potential; I really want it to succeed. With a little bit of organisation and consideration for the customer and with a tweaking of the menu it could be great. I have experienced the good and the bad; which can happen in any restaurant. It may be a one off, I hope so. My friends are not keen to return; I will keep an open mind. i will follow the reviews and see what happens.

Other people in the restaurant were tucking into their food with gusto, so I am not sure whether it was just us poor souls who had been dealt a bad hand.

I hope this is a one off; good luck for the future.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone here no of an easy way to set up a blog?

Have a look at https://www.blogger.com/start or http://wordpress.com/. :)

Anyway, went to Platillos on weds. The décor is really nice, and the whole place seemed very friendly and relaxed. The bar area downstairs is very pleasant to chill in. The service was great, and the food was very tasty and it didn't break the bank either. For 6 it cost about £65 quid - a couple of dishes each, and a bottle of Cava.

A really nice place to go with friends.

Archived