Duke Street before the Park Hill Flats

This is all great stuff. Thanks, everyone. Milted, I remember old Mr Seagrave very well. He was almost completely deaf. Kids can be cruel and we were no exception. We'd make fun of him, especially when we'd go in the store and ask for something and what he'd give us would bear no resemblance. Like: "A packet of spearmint please." "What's that, you want a box of matches?" As to the Norfolk Picture House, that place took the cake. My grandma said that when she was young, the admittance fee was an empty bottle (or was it a jam jar?). What I remember about it was the so-called balcony section, nicknamed "The Gods." It was only 2 or 3 ft above the rest of the cinema.and separated from it by a black curtain. Kids would throw stuff (e.g. globs of chewing gum, ice cream wrappers, pea shooter "ammo") over the curtain onto the folk sat just below.

Just a couple more shops to add to the list. There was a newsagent on the RHS going down next to the pub at the bottom. Next to it was a fish and chip shop. We never sampled the chippy bcause my aunt owned the fish and chip shop around the corner on Broad St. We got them for free.

Poor old Mr Seagrave, you too ? We were bad 'uns ,were'nt we Must correct you concerning the "Norfolk" The posh bit at the backyou refer to as the Gods was in fact, called the "Jury Box" Admission----- 6pence. 4pence to go in the stalls 2pence in the "pit" 1penny if you could get some-one to take you in Happy Days eh ! Hope you found my previous -mail useful

Milted, maybe the balcony in the Manor Picture House was called the Gods? Now you mention it, both names ring a bell. So does the name Brierly, but my mind could be playing tricks on me. I was only 7 when we moved from Talbot Place ca. 1950, though kept in touch with the area for a good while afterwards as my grandma (Bonsall) continued to live there.

Hi rogG,

Born and lived on Duke St in the 50's and 60s.

Lived on the parade of shops that were below the Park Baths.

used to be a doctors surgery at the bottom of Hampton St as it was called then, opposite corner to the Salvation Army. Above doctors there was Hawnts Shoe shop, Clarks barbers, Knowles dress and fabric shop, painting and decorating shop, pie and pea shop, tobacconistshop, then newsagent on th top corner.

Pubs were Oddfellows above Norfolk picture house and Talbot INN on the top corner.

Got mega amount of memoried of the area, people etc before they built the flats.

PM me if you want more.

PhilipB, we patronized all those shops. We used the doctor there, who I think may have been called Dr Hart (?) Even after we moved out of that neighbourhood, my brother and I were made to go to have our hair cut by Mr Clarke, as my mom said he was the only barber who gave "a decent hair cut." The pie and pea shop we frequented after a Saturday a.m. at the Park baths, just around the corner. Tasted delicious.

PhilipB, we patronized all those shops. We used the doctor there, who I think may have been called Dr Hart (?) Even after we moved out of that neighbourhood, my brother and I were made to go to have our hair cut by Mr Clarke, as my mom said he was the only barber who gave "a decent hair cut." The pie and pea shop we frequented after a Saturday a.m. at the Park baths, just around the corner. Tasted delicious.

Dr Hart was an old Scottish doctor who lived on Norfolk Road.

Used to get my haircut at Clarkes, pie and pea shop was run by mother and son couple called Gray.

Remember the paint shop between Clarkes and the pie shop?

I used to live there.

The old lady that had the tobacconist was severly crippled and used to have a caliper, used crutches all the time, can't remember her name.

Was quite a local falling out in the 50s when the newsagent started selling cigarettes and took some of her trade away.

Regularly went to Park Baths, usually bout 3 times a week.

Remember Alms houses at the end of Talbot Place? Originally they were supposed to be for people from the Park district who'd been in business in the area.

At one time had my brother and grandfather living in the Park district, both lived on Glencoe Road.

Grandfather owned some of the terraced houses on Grafton Street.

Plenty more if you're interested but don't quite remember it being safe enough not to lock your door at night time.

PhilipB, I lived with my mom, dad and brother in my grandma's house, which was only 2 houses away from the Alms Houses (No. 3 T. Place). But in 1950, we left to move up to what was then the brand new Stradbroke estate out in the country. Sounds like we just missed each other. Some people have commented on Dr. Hart. I'll always remember getting my vaccinations from him. It was before disposable syringes came about. Back then, they used glass syringes with needles that weren't always the sharpest. On my way out of his office, he said, "Now, there'll be no crying laddy, or I'll ask you to roll up your other sleeve." I also remeber his waiting room, like all of them back then, being filled with cigarette smoke. Happy days.

Archived