Duke Street before the Park Hill Flats

rogG,

Well remember that waiting room, painted dark brown and cream, or maybe that was the cigarrette smoke! My dad painted it as well.

No appointments and there were times that the queue was out of the door.

Dr Hart would sometimes have a fag on whilst he was seeing patients.

There used to be a bus stop right outside his room and the top deck could see right into his surgery. he had to ask the council to move it !!

Do you remember the Bielowscky family, used to have an upholstery business on Talbot Place? Was at school with one of their lads, called Andre, was a good swimmer.

PhilipB, the Bielowski's lived at number 7, we were at number 3. But they moved in just around the time that we headed off to the Stradbroke estate, so I really didn't get to know them. My grandma knew the Bielowski's well because Mr Bielowski used to use the large shed in my grandma's back yard for his work. Did you know the Allens at number 5? David Allen was a friend of mine.

rogG,

Can't say I knew the Allens, in fact apart from the Bielowski's didn't know anyone else from there.

Knocked about with the son from the landlord of the Oddfellows a bit, Steve Wilkinson, went to work at Kennings.

You remember the name of the bread shop between Copleys the butcher and the green grocer, knew their boy as well.

There was a little printing shop and was run by my mates dad, Brian Taylor, he lived in Hampton street.

Plus there was a ladies hairdressers, Thorpes it was called it was the first shop at the top of that parade.

You know anybody from Glencoe Road?

PhilipB, don't remember the stores or people you mention. Moving on in time to the late 50s, I do remember Violet May set up her first shop on Duke St., just below the Norfolk Picture House. I used to love her store bcause I was a traditional jazz enthusiast. After a while, Violet moved to the bottom of South St. I believe there's already been a thread on that. But how many people remember her very first Duke St location?

<snip>I'm planning to write a book about my childhood experiences growing up in Sheffield during the post WW2 period: mid 40s to 60s. .<snip>

Ooo, I'm interested in this thread. I'll post now to subscribe, so I can keep up.:)

Put me down for a copy when you've done.

I wonder what the younger forumers think when they read threads like this one. The talk of all the shops that we could go to, how people had time for one another and that as kids there was always something to do. I never remember anyone saying that they were bored and remember no TV just get back home in time to listen to Dick Barton Special Agent. Oh so long ago and some great memories.

PhilipB, don't remember the stores or people you mention. Moving on in time to the late 50s, I do remember Violet May set up her first shop on Duke St., just below the Norfolk Picture House. I used to love her store bcause I was a traditional jazz enthusiast. After a while, Violet moved to the bottom of South St. I believe there's already been a thread on that. But how many people remember her very first Duke St location?
i can remember violet mays shop,we used to call in on saturdays on the way to the rag an tag to visit my mates grandma who had a curtain stall there, 2/6 each for lifting the cutains into the van..:hihi:

Archived