Duke Street before the Park Hill Flats

I wonder what the younger forumers think when they read threads like this one. The talk of all the shops that we could go to, how people had time for one another and that as kids there was always something to do. I never remember anyone saying that they were bored and remember no TV just get back home in time to listen to Dick Barton Special Agent. Oh so long ago and some great memories.

Can well remember those days. Remember getting our first TV, huge box with tiny screen.

Listening to 2 way family favourites on the Light Programme on Sunday midday from BFPO bases. Cliff Mitchelmore and Jean Metcalfe, yes?

Bored? Bored? Weren't allowed to be bored, get a thick ear if you as much as moaned about anything.

Shops equated to people, not sterile, nameless strangers. Go to town to go to the butchers? unheard of, trip to town was a treat for something special.

Yes, happy days never to return.

As an exile who has lived in Canada for most of my adult life, I'm always a bit reluctant to offer comments on how my home town of Sheffield has changed bcause criticism from a non resident doesn't always go down well. What I can say though, following on from PhilipB's comments is how terribly sad I feel every time I come bk to visit Sheffield, usually every 5 yrs or so. The Sheffield I knew is gone. Understandable, I guess. But, in the name of progress, what has replaced it? That great shopping area which this thread has been about has been replaced with flats (though that was way back) and tarmac and that vibrant area around the Sheaf market by a monstrous roundabout, which I try my best to avoid because I'm a hazard to all. Over here roundabouts, especially multi lane ones with traffic lights, are a rarity. For me, the soul has gone out of the city. So yes, I lament like PhilipB, the loss of the old Sheffield which emphasised mingling of people rather than rapid traffic flow. To not be so entirely negative, I visited the buildings around the Peace Gardens a couple of yrs bk and was impressed with what was there. Though I still think there is nothing to beat the Peace Gardens as they once were, peace and tranquility, beautifully landscaped, great spot for a sit down to munch on one's lunch during the summer, I do remember a transitional Peace Gardens concept with a building designed like an egg carton and a downsizing of the landscaping. That was not pleasing and what has been done now is an improvement.

I lived in South St in the 1930's There wasa sweet shop just below the houes I lived in The name of the shopkeeper was Mrs WebsterCould she have been your Grandma; It was an ordinary house,the front part was the house was the shop,and the old lady lived in the back part What we used to call a shop window house

No, my grandparents lived on Talbot Place, Milted. But I'd sometimes go to the Park Picture Palace. I remember seeing "Last of the Mohicans" (first edition) there. I say we sometimes used to go to the Park bcause back then there was a story going around that it harbored rats and you had to watch your feet in the dark. Don't know how true that was but we mostly went to the Norfolk and sat in the pit.

I lived in South St in the 1930's There wasa sweet shop just below the houes I lived in The name of the shopkeeper was Mrs WebsterCould she have been your Grandma; It was an ordinary house,the front part was the house was the shop,and the old lady lived in the back part What we used to call a shop window house

Milted, this was my first posting on this subject.

Think my Mum grew up on South Street in The Park district. She was born 1930 and my Grandmother had a Sweet Shop - only small. I was told the back kitchen had rounded corners to the room inside, as it was partly built into rock.

She had a friend who's Dad had a Butchers shop and in the cellar was a very old doorway, which opened to a passageway. It was blocked off, but the Butcher said it was an entrance to the tunnels which supposedly ran upto the Manor Castle in medieval times.

My Grandma was called Nora Holt (maiden name Spooner) grandad Albert (who was a miner, their eldest son was called Albert as well) she had a very small sweet shop. I have heard the term shop window house before, so this could have been the shop. Did you know them?

South St was a long St,but that was the only shop of that kind The backs of the housefell away sharply to the Road below .I think it could well have been the shop we are thinking of. I would be about 10 yrs old at the time 1932 RodG Talbot place Did you know the mackenzie sisters ?Lived at the Duke st end. About the second house Yes,I used to go to the" Norfolk",but down in the Pit inthe early days Two-pence to go in. you paid your money and a big metal disc came down which you handed to the doorman First thing to come on was the News, then the big Picture,and finish with a comic. Then everyone stood for the King They did that in those days Later on,when I was working I could afford 6pence to go in the best part,which we called the "jury box" Funny in'it,but we used to sing and whistle in those days too

• 9 months later...
Think my Mum grew up on South Street in The Park district. She was born 1930 and my Grandmother had a Sweet Shop - only small. I was told the back kitchen had rounded corners to the room inside, as it was partly built into rock.

She had a friend who's Dad had a Butchers shop and in the cellar was a very old doorway, which opened to a passageway. It was blocked off, but the Butcher said it was an entrance to the tunnels which supposedly ran upto the Manor Castle in medieval times.

my grandad wilson JACK OR johnlived afew doors up from the sweet shop his house was on the corner it started on south st went round the corner into a yard his daughter my mum was call edna

Does anyone remember the Gunshop at the bottom of South St It was just below the Park Picture Palace,and next to Bensons Lino shop Barbers shop was just around the corner. I used to go for a Threepeny "all off" Happy days
i remember the gunshop,i was only a toddler but as i recall it was on the left of the street,thats over fifty years ago, so could be wrong but i think it was a small cobbled ,steep road

Archived